Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Junction boxes in attic--and locating boxes for LED lights in general

Old 04-27-14, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

With LED lights becoming prevalent these days, how do people locate the receptacles for them without hiding them? (I'm referring to strip/puck lights that need a transformer and get plugged into a standard receptacle.)

I know that junction boxes can't be hidden, and I know that there's some ambiguity in the code about what "accessible" means.

Here's one specific situation I'm coming across:

This one design concept has backlighting through glass panels in a ceiling. The backlights would be LED strip lights INSIDE an attic area. Part of the ceiling would be a glass panel that lets the light through. The most obvious way of doing this would be putting a receptacle inside this attic area. The attic area is not generally accessible (it's NOT a crawl-through attic).

How would one do this installation compliantly? If the glass panel were easily removable (by just raising it up, tilting it, and pulling it down--say it's like one of those foam board grids that they use in commercial ceilings), would this make the receptacle box "accessible"?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-14, 10:51 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
With LED lights becoming prevalent these days, how do people locate the receptacles for them
A receptacle is the connection for male plug. I believe you mean junction box.
The most obvious way of doing this would be putting a receptacle inside this attic area.
Only if the LED came with a plug. Otherwise you would use a junction box.
If the glass panel were easily removable (by just raising it up, tilting it, and pulling it down--say it's like one of those foam board grids that they use in commercial ceilings), would this make the receptacle box "accessible"?
Yes. This is analogous to fluorescent fixtures that use to be installed in the same way, mounted into a recess built in to a conventional ceiling, though in that case the fluorescent light was often rated as a junction box so no additional junction box was used and also fluorescent fixtures used in drop ceilings with removable panels..

Old 04-27-14, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
"Accessible Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building"

Not much ambiguity there.

Most cases you can install the transformer and receptacle in a remote location, and then run two wire cable to where the lights are. A good example is under cabinet lights in a kitchen. We like to install the lights under the cabinets and run 18/2 thermostat wire to a hidden place such as an unfinished basement, or in a lower base cabinet. A switched receptacle is installed in that location and the plug in transformer installed there. All nicely accessible. Best part is the cable used is for low voltage so the rules are much less restrictive than with voltage over 50.

It sounds to me your attic is not accessible, however your idea of being able to remove the glass to gain access should work fine.

Old 04-27-14, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, guys! This resolves my predicament =)

Old 04-27-14, 11:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
OK, so this explains this thread, right? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/wa...-ceilings.html
Good to keep it all together to keep confusion down.

Old 04-28-14, 10:30 AM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
"Accessible Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building"
In addition, without the use of tools.