Invisible Fence Question

Old 04-27-14, 05:59 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Invisible Fence Question

So here's a question I probably should have asked before doing it... We have an invisible dog fence, and when we put in a pool last summer the wire got cut. Today I found the two ends, dug a trench and reconnected the circuit. Here's my question. The manual said to use wire between 14-18 gauge, and I was only able to find 14 gauge wire at Home Depot so I bought it. The wire in the existing part of the loop was a little thicker than the wire I bought - so maybe it was 18 gauge? So I went ahead and connected it anyway. When I switched on the panel, the lights went on as though the circuit is connected (when the circuit is broken it beeps loudly). But when I brought the dog collar near the invisible fence it didn't beep. It's possible the battery in the collar is dead, but before I replace it I figured I should ask if the problem is that I connected two different gauges of wire. I can't think of anything else I might have done wrong. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 04-27-14, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,510 Votes on 1,397 Posts
Wiring gauges run backwards..... so #14 gauge wire is two sizes larger than #18.

The #14 wire you used to repair the line should be fine. Your unit is telling you that the loop is continuous so it looks like a possible problem with the collar.

Old 04-27-14, 06:58 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks PJMax - the invisible fence seems like a very simple concept, even I understand it... thanks for the validation. I'll check that collar battery tomorrow, and hopefully that's it.

Appreciate the quick advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: