Neutral bar on circuit panel

Old 04-30-14, 04:54 PM
Neutral bar on circuit panel

Hey gang. I am selling my condo on Long Island. The buyer had a home inspector come yesterday. His only complaint was that on my neutral bar, there are 2 white wires connected to 1 screw on the neutral bar. There are 3 sets of these with plenty of room on the neutral bar (open slots) my question is can I just turn the power off and seperate these wires so all the white wires are in their own seperate slot? Is this a big deal to do and can I do it myself? Money's tight and can't afford an electrician. Thanks in advance for advice

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-14, 05:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is something that you could easily do with the power off. Does the inspection report ask for a licensed contractor to perform the work?

Old 04-30-14, 05:36 PM
There is no specification on having a licensed electrician. He stated that the double wires are a potential fire hazard and needs to be resolved. Thank you for the reply

Old 04-30-14, 06:48 PM
There is no specification on having a licensed electrician. He stated that the double wires are a potential fire hazard and needs to be resolved.
Technically it is a code violation, but I wouldn't readily agree that it's a fire hazard. I would, however, fix it because it is a code violation.

Old 04-30-14, 07:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The fire hazard is a bit of a stretch.

Old 04-30-14, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
my question is can I just turn the power off and seperate these wires so all the white wires are in their own seperate slot? Is this a big deal to do and can I do it myself?
To answer your question directly, yes to both. It is not a really big deal as long as you understand that the main feeder wires will still be hot unless you turn off the panel from another location.

As you posted, turn off the power at the main breaker and relocate the white wires to their own screws. Just make sure to tighten the screw down after you remove one wire, and the new screw where you relocate the wire.