Rooftop surprise

Old 04-30-14, 06:34 AM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Rooftop surprise

I went up on the roof for something totally unrelated and found many of the conduit joints have come apart over the winter. None of them seem to be glued.

What would be the best approach to repair these. Can I glue the joints and then use weatherproof tape over the crack?

The long term plan is to change the main service panel for a 200 amp and the state utility will change these wires at that time. But the growing list of repairs in this old place means the panel upgrade may be delayed by 6 months to a year.

Thank you,

Last edited by Kiton; 04-30-14 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-30-14, 07:08 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
What would be the best approach to repair these. Can I glue the joints and then use weatherproof tape over the crack?
The best approach? Assuming this is a flat roof, I'd say for a short term temporary repair to glue the joints and reconnect the PVC conduits. For long term, I'd use either IMC or galvanized heavywall threaded conduit mounted on B-Line DURA BLOKs.

Cooper B-Line DURA-BLOK? Rooftop Supports

Old 04-30-14, 07:37 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
It cracked down the side of it, needs to be replaced.

Old 04-30-14, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Up here we see temperature changes from 40 C to -50 C. I have never seen them used but because of the temperature fluctuations it is recommended you use expansion joints on your conduit. Your PVC was likely glued but literally pulled apart as the temperature changed. I commonly see it here in Sask. where parking lot receptacle pipe on a chain link fence is loose at every coupling.
http://0323c7c.netsolhost.com/docs/C...20fittings.pdf

Old 04-30-14, 06:32 PM
Is it a flat roof? ......................

Old 04-30-14, 07:49 PM
K
I like the idea of those expansion tubes Mr. A. Thanks for the link.

CasualJoe, Yes it is a flat roof. The conduit is attached to 4x4 by 4 foot long pieces of pressure treated wood which sits on the roof. They are not secured at any point.
When I bought the house the building inspector said they were just fine the way they were, I never thought twice about it. In retrospect, I have my doubts about that.

The power company charges a flat rate to change the wire from the pole to the meter if you are upgrading to a 200 amp connection. And the rate is very reasonable. I assume they feel they will get their return in higher consumption.

I would really like to make a decent, safe, repair to hold me over until the power company changes the wires top to bottom.

Old 05-01-14, 11:51 AM
I would really like to make a decent, safe, repair to hold me over until the power company changes the wires top to bottom.
Are you saying the rooftop conduit is a raceway for part of your utility service drop?

I cannot say for sure about the code in Canada, but the rooftop conduits should not be readily subject to damage here. In my area, neither PVC or EMT conduits are allowed on blocks on a rooftop. Stepping on either type of conduit between the blocks would easily damage PVC or EMT.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: