Adding a Receptacle - Basic Questions

Old 05-01-14, 12:47 PM
Question Adding a Receptacle - Basic Questions

I want to add a new receptacle inside a closet. Luckily, the bedroom behind this closet has an outlet, so all I need to do is patch into that and I'm good to go. Just have a couple questions...
  1. The current receptacle is in the middle of the run (w/ a feed in & out cable). The hot & neutral cables are fed through the push-in holes on the back of the receptacle, leaving the side screws available. If I connect the hot/neutral on my new receptacle to those side screws, is that a "legit" way of tapping into the power?
  2. Regarding the ground, the current receptacle has the feed in/out grounds twisted together, crimped, and connected to the ground screw. If I join this ground with my new receptacle's ground using a green wire nut, is that considered "legit"?
  3. The run between receptacles will be fairly short, but am I supposed to use any sort of conduit?

Appreciate the advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-14, 01:17 PM
The current receptacle is in the middle of the run (w/ a feed in & out cable). The hot & neutral cables are fed through the push-in holes on the back of the receptacle, leaving the side screws available. If I connect the hot/neutral on my new receptacle to those side screws, is that a "legit" way of tapping into the power?
Do not use the backstabs, they aren't reliable. In fact, remove the back stabbed wires from the existing receptacle and pigtail each color with the same color and same size wire including your new tap wires. Then reconnect to the existing receptacle. Your new cable can then be connected to the new receptacle by the screw terminals.

Regarding the ground, the current receptacle has the feed in/out grounds twisted together, crimped, and connected to the ground screw. If I join this ground with my new receptacle's ground using a green wire nut, is that considered "legit"?
The color of the wire nut makes no difference, but yes, use a wire nut.

The run between receptacles will be fairly short, but am I supposed to use any sort of conduit?
Is the existing wiring in conduit? Does your local AHJ require conduit? The NEC doesn't require conduit, if conduit is required it's a local requirement. All codes are local.

Old 05-01-14, 05:02 PM
Do not use the backstabs, they aren't reliable. In fact, remove the back stabbed wires from the existing receptacle and pigtail each color with the same color and same size wire including your new tap wires. Then reconnect to the existing receptacle. Your new cable can then be connected to the new receptacle by the screw terminals.
I've definitely read about the pro's and con's of backstabs vs screws. Sadly, my entire house is wired like this. The box looks pretty full and I think I'd had a hard time getting all those pigtails to fit. So if I go with the original plan (keep backstabs where they are and attach the new wire to the screws), will that work?

The color of the wire nut makes no difference, but yes, use a wire nut.
I figured as such, but the green ones I have have a little hole on the end to run a through wire out to the ground screw.

Is the existing wiring in conduit? Does your local AHJ require conduit? The NEC doesn't require conduit, if conduit is required it's a local requirement. All codes are local.
I'll double check the Seattle code and see if they require conduit. Not sure if the current box has conduit, but I'll know soon as I open that wall on the other side.

Old 05-01-14, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may need to install a larger device box in order to have space for the new cable.

Old 05-02-14, 03:33 PM
Question

Just finished the project, but haven't turned the power back on yet - thought I'd post some photos to get my work double-checked. ;-)

When I popped off the old receptacle, there were actually 3 wires already in the box. 2 were in the backstabs, and 1 was on the bottom screws. The three grounds were twisted, crimped, and a single ground was connected to the green screw. Here's a photo...

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  36.2 KB

I ran my new wire into the box and connected the hot/neutral to the available top screws on the old receptacle. I then gave the ground a couple twists around the existing ground, fed them into a green grounding wiring nut, and attached the protruding wire to the receptacle's green screw. Here's the finished product...

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  31.5 KB

Look good?

Attached Images   
Old 05-02-14, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
I don't see any pigtails. You didn't put two wires on one screw did you?

Old 05-02-14, 06:53 PM
Nope. Just 1 wire on that ground screw. I used the green wire nut as directed where all the wires go in the bottom and one comes out the end. That's the one that is connected to the ground screw.

Old 05-02-14, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Not talking about the ground. I count way too many wires for four screws. You surely didn't back stab any wires did you? Back stabs are less reliable. Best practice all blacks should have been connected to one pigtail. All whites to another. Then the two pigtails to the screws.

Old 05-02-14, 07:42 PM
I personally don't like to use backstabs, but apparently the electrician who wires my house does. This receptacle had both sets of backstabs in use and one set of screws. I used the open set of screws.

Old 05-02-14, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
It would be best to change to pigtails. Lots of problems posted in this forum are because of failed back stabs.

Old 05-02-14, 08:35 PM
Right on, appreciate your time.