subpanel overfill photos

Old 05-02-14, 11:52 AM
subpanel overfill photos

My subpanel had many splices for the lights that were just way to short. I needed to add a ground bar to the subpanel but couldn't do it without taking it all apart.... unfortunetly the only way to do that was to make splices, add wires where they were to short and hence add wirenuts.

Does this appear overfilled? Esp with the addition of the GEC?

The first shot is before with many issues. The second is after I put my hands on it.... perhaps I should have just dove totally in a replaced it fully. ???

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-14, 12:10 PM
I should note, the two large Red wire nuts are pigtailed to each breaker. They are outlets, the panel is used a splice box. There are just the two 20A circuits. 1 controls the GDO and some lighting and the other controls about 4 outlets.

The yellow wirenuts extend short wires into the switch box on the left....

the ground bar is hidden behind all that....

do you think I have added to my troubles by overfilling?

Old 05-02-14, 01:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is hard to overfill a panel. I don't see a code issue.

Old 05-02-14, 01:28 PM
I couldn't find anything in regards to panel and overfill either when looking thru the tables on overfill.

One of the many quirky things was if you look in the before photo, by the two hot lugs. There was a screw that holds the plastic housing to the enclosure. Someone overtightened it and it was cracked and the that entire main lug was only secured by one screw toward the bottom. The top was loose.

The only way I could think of to repair it was with JB Weld... it is secure now but do you think that should have been reason enough to completely replace this panel?

Old 05-03-14, 06:23 AM
Group Moderator
If the JB weld is holding well enough, then I would leave it. If not, then maybe replace the panel.

Old 05-03-14, 06:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The handle tie between the breakers is not a listed handle tie and should be replaced.