Not an electrician!

Old 05-02-14, 09:54 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not an electrician!

I set up a flood light that uses 12 volts at 5w. I have a solar panel that powers a 12v battery. I then made the less then stellar move of cutting off the transformer at the end of the light plug, and hooked the wires to the battery. Why, because I thought well it is a 12v light and I have a 12v supply so no need for the plug. The light works but is not working at its normal range I believe. The plug had an input of 100 to 120v and dropped it down to 12v at 1.5 amps. So since I have cut the plug am I off base on my thinking?

Old 05-02-14, 10:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,877 Upvotes on 3,475 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

12v is 12v but the power supply may be putting out a little more voltage than your battery which would make the light appear brighter. It should still work ok on the 12 battery system.

Old 05-02-14, 10:06 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you PJmax for the welcome and quick response! I promise last question. I thought about adding a security camera. Is there any chance the over voltage might mess with the camera kind of light causing the light to be brighter? I checked around for a regulator to keep the right amperage but have failed to find one.

Old 05-02-14, 10:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,877 Upvotes on 3,475 Posts
Feel free to ask away...

I'm not sure I understand your question about the camera. Do you want to run the camera and that light on the same chargeable battery system ?

What did you want to regulate.... the light ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: