Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wiring SPST toggle switches between wall outlet and devices

Old 05-02-14, 10:25 PM

Hi all, new here. I wanted to get a handful of SPST toggle switches like this -- 1pc New High Quality 15A 250V SPST 2 Terminal on Off Toggle Switch | eBay -- and make a cool panel for my devices on my desktop. I'm a new helicopter pilot and I thought it would be cool to make my desk into a functional instrument panel, especially since some of my devices don't have native on/off switches or very inconveniently placed ones.

My thought is that these would be wired between the power source from wall outlet and adapter from device, but honestly I have no idea how this is normally done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-14, 10:36 PM
Group Moderator
What kind of devices? Are they 120 volt devices. Really don't have a clue what you are trying to do. Can you give more detail?

Old 05-02-14, 11:05 PM
Speaker is 12V, scanner is 24V, monitor is 100-240V. These are powered by an ordinary wall outlet so I would theoretically want to be able to support anything that the wall supports.

Old 05-03-14, 03:17 AM
I found a really great article talking about some basics of switches and I think I know what I need to do. Here is a diagram I made up showing my intent:

Does this seem reasonable? I need to figure out how to make the box connect to the wall with only one cable, yet have each switch lead to its own female so devices can be controlled independently. I'm guessing the solution would be wiring in parallel from my box's male power in to the various switches.

Old 05-03-14, 04:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have something similar to this Vintage PC Accessories 5 Port Computer Power Supervisor Control Switch | eBay in my office. Is that what you are trying to build?

Old 05-03-14, 05:06 AM
Ezekiel Victor, your diagram is correct. Connect all of the receptacles' white (neutral) wires together. Each switch would go inline on each receptacle's black (hot).

If you wanted to get fancy you could use DPDT switches and pilot lights to indicate that a switch was on.

How many devices? Be aware that at some point you could add enough devices to overload a 15 amp circuit.

Old 05-03-14, 10:34 PM
Theoretically, any standard extension cord can be used to power this desktop box but you may have to shop around a little to find a cord whose female end fits into the male receptacle on the box and also has a high enough amperes rating for the equipment you are plugging in.

A receptacle pair (duplex receptacle unit) can have the two receptacles controlled separately using two of your toggle switches after you bend off the tab between the two gold or dark terminal screws (for the hot side).

Hint: Since you are building this box yourself, don't put the receptacles too close together on the back. This will cut down on the chance that plugs for different devices don't all fit because they interfere with each other

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-03-14 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-05-14, 03:29 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I'll report back when I have some progress.

Old 05-26-14, 01:42 AM
Just wanted to follow up on this. I went ahead and built the box! It turned out great and works like a dream... Homemade Helicopter-Inspired "Power Strip" - Imgur

Old 05-26-14, 08:15 AM
Group Moderator
Looking nice.