rewiring a switch to be always "on"

Old 04-21-14, 05:48 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rewiring a switch to be always "on"

Hello,
thanks to the help of you fine folks I managed to get my ceiling fan/light working I need some additional assistance with regards to the same items.

I installed a receiver/wall mount control for the ceiling fan/light.
Hunter Universal Wall Mount Ceiling Fan Control-99111 at The Home Depot

I want to remove my flip switch that the fan/light are currently connected to, so I can install the remote wall plate use the remote exclusively.

http://s21.postimg.org/3rjs9msiv/20140421_192535.jpg

Bottom switch with the Blue/Yellow wires is what I need to change. The blue wire is connected to all the other blue wires, and the yellow wire goes into the wall.

Old 04-21-14, 05:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Turn off the power and splice the blue to the yellow.

Old 04-21-14, 05:54 PM
Think of your switch as touching the two wires together and pulling them apart as you switch it on and off.
Joint the blue and yellow together for constant power. Done.

Old 04-21-14, 05:59 PM
R
lol i figured it was that easy, but the different colors threw me off, guess i couldn't figure out why it wasnt just black. thanks!

Old 04-21-14, 07:38 PM
R
problem

okay, well i guess it wasn't that easy lol. For some reason my fan is making a strange noise now, and the light doesn't dim properly ( I can see it "trying" to, but it doesn't).

all I did was join the yellow/blue wires together, everything else is exactly as is. Is there something I need to do differently? I used an orange twist connector thing and thats it. (I tried rewiring it twice to make sure it wasn't loose or anything)

Old 04-21-14, 07:55 PM
B
Lamp does not dim

Is the lamp a CFL? The controller will not dim CFL lamps.

Old 04-21-14, 09:13 PM
R
no its a dimmable LED. it was dimming fine, and the fan made no noise until I made the wiring change to "always on" by joining the yellow/blue wires. I went back to the original switch and its still making that noise! Is it possibly caused my me damaging the wiring or something (like I scratched off too much copper, or cause some form of grounding issue without knowing it)

Old 04-22-14, 04:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I can think of no reason turning the switch to a constant hot would cause your issue.

Old 04-30-14, 02:38 AM
R
sorry for such a late response. i've been playing with my fan/light setup for the past week. it seems if I put dimming LEDs the fan makes a deep groaning sound at medium and high settings (louder with higher speed). If I put CFL bulbs, the fan does not make noise, but the light makes a very very light buzzing sound.

I dunno... fan originally came with fluorescent tube, and I had to replace the remote receiver as well with a newer and likely incompatible model...

I guess I can live with using CFL bulbs with the slight buzz, but if you have alternate solutions I'd appreciate it

Old 04-30-14, 03:42 PM
CFL bulbs don't play well with wireless.
The reviews on your dimmer seem to indicate it isn't compatible with LED either.
And it just dawned on me that you jointed a single switch leg. This makes me guess you are reducing voltage to your fan motor alongside your bulbs. You may not be able to install a dimmer for your fan without some rewiring so that fan and bulbs are controlled separately.

Old 04-30-14, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Mr. A...... the dimmer in question mounts in the wall but doesn't connect to the wiring. It is an RF remote control that is made to be wall mounted, hand held or installed into a junction box.

Old 04-30-14, 04:06 PM
School me here PJ if I'm way off...
I understand it is a wireless control, but it comes with a receiver to be installed in the ceiling box. If the fan only has a single hot connected, then he would be "dimming" the motor at the same time as the bulbs yes?

Old 04-30-14, 04:12 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
In addition the wireless remote may be interfered with by the other switch and wires next to it.

Old 04-30-14, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
There is a single hot connection to the wireless receiver and then the receiver has two independent outputs...... one for the fan and another for the light.

Old 04-30-14, 04:24 PM
Yes that is what I'm getting at here. Two wires out of receiver connected to two wires into fan for proper function. Two wires = lights and motor controlled separately. One wire = lights and motor controlled together.
Perhaps his fan only has a single wire.

Old 05-03-14, 09:14 PM
R
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...ht-woes.html#b

this is my original post I made on here while I was trying to get my old fan functional.

The original receiver had 6 wires + 2 wires for fan power, speed control, lighting/dimming.

The new receiver has half the number of wires... So I think you're right, I imagine there is an issue with power distribution somewhere.

Since there is no oem replacement receiver available for my fan, is there any way to correct the power issue? Maybe some how add a separate "hot" wire to run and power the lighting from a different switch?

or maybe I can just get rid of the receiver altogether, and wire fan to a fan controller, and the lights to a separate switch? ugh... lol

Old 05-03-14, 10:28 PM
How many and what color wires come out of your fan?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: