Unfinished Basement and Crawlspace Wiring

Old 05-04-14, 06:19 PM
Unfinished Basement and Crawlspace Wiring

I am getting started on the wiring in my basement. I am planning on running the wiring for the receptacles, sewage ejector pump, kitchenette, and bathroom through the crawlspace and an unfinished storage portion of the basement. Can I simply attach the wiring to the underside of the joists in the unfinished basement and the back of the studs in the crawlspace? All the wiring is NM-B 12-2.

The code (ART 334.15(c)) mentions wires not smaller than two 6AWG or three 8AWG may be attached to the lower portions of the joists.

So if I read this correctly I have to either drill through all the studs/joists or attach running boards? What's a running board? Can i use conduit?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-14, 06:36 PM
The code (ART 334.15(c)) mentions wires not smaller than two 6AWG or three 8AWG may be attached to the lower portions of the joists.

So if I read this correctly I have to either drill through all the studs/joists or attach running boards? What's a running board? Can i use conduit?
You pretty much answered your own question. A running board would be something like a 1X6 nailed to the underside of the floor joists on which to staple the NM-B cables. Yes, you can use conduit. I'd drill the joists, much easier, quicker and professional looking too.

Old 05-04-14, 07:29 PM
What about the studs? Can i attach them to the backside of the studs in the crawlspace or do I have to drill those out too? Just trying to prevent drilling out about 30-40 studs/joists.

Old 05-04-14, 07:38 PM
What about the fact that it's NM-B. I know NM is not for outdoor usage, but what about running it through the crawlspace in a conduit?

Old 05-04-14, 07:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless it's an area that may be finished in the future, I would go the running board route. The hassle of drilling and pulling is a lot more time and effort than running a 1x3 (or 1x4 or 1x6) to attach the wires to.

Alternately, you may be able to run the wires along the sill plate (the 2x8 that is mounted to the top of the foundation, which the floor joists attach to). No running board required. Stacker clips can help too.

Old 05-05-14, 08:52 AM
Does the same apply to the backside of the studs in the crawlspace? Running boards are required?

Old 05-05-14, 10:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would drill every other stud so all the support requirements can be met instead of trying to staple on the backside.