Doorbell Button Lamp

Old 05-05-14, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Doorbell Button Lamp

Hello everyone,

For the longest time I have been having a problem where the lamp inside the doorbell button keeps becoming faulty prematurely. I have replaced it almost ten times now. I have read some information online stating that the transformer's voltage is probably too high for the button being used but I don't think that is the case for I bought a 24 volt doorbell button and installed it but it didn't function. It must mean that the transformer isn't 24 volts since there wasn't enough voltage to allow the 24 volt button to work. The 16 volt button works fine but the bulb inside always become faulty in the matter of months. Any suggestions as to what may be the problem and as to what I should do? I am using Heath Zenith brand 16 volt illuminated doorbell buttons.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-14, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Take a meter and measure the voltage at the transformer or at the doorbell when the button is pressed.

Old 05-05-14, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Door Bell Button

It must mean that the transformer isn't 24 volts since there wasn't enough voltage to allow the 24 volt button to work.
I would start by taking a voltage reading at your door bell transformer so you know what your are dealing with.

Old 05-07-14, 08:23 PM
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It is possible and actually quite likely for a doorbell transformer to show a higher voltage when the button is not pressed compared with when the button is pressed and the chime is sounding. If the voltage is higher than the doorbell light rating then the doorbell light will not last very long.

I am surprised that the higher voltage doorbell light did not work at all. It should draw a very low current so as not to have the chime sounding continuousely and at least glow not as bright as the 16 volt button.

Measure the open circuit (no-load) voltage of the transformer across the transformer terminals or across the button terminals with the button not pushed.

Measure the loaded voltage of the transformer across the chime terminals while the button is pressed.

Don't forget, when the button is pushed or a switch is "on" the voltage measured across its terminals should be zero.