Running PVC conduit question

Old 05-06-14, 01:17 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running PVC conduit question

Hi again, In the near future after my renovation is done on the second floor I plan on installing a sub-panel in my basement of my house for the wood working tools I have a gathered over the years. However, the best pathway from the main panel to the basement is through a crawl space under the kitchen of my house. Is a crawl space considered a wet area? Thanks, Roger

Old 05-06-14, 03:29 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, per NEC any unconditioned crawlspace whether dirt or concrete floor is considered a damp location (that's why unfinished basements and crawlspaces require GFCI receptacles). You can run PVC, but the conductors will need to be damp/wet rated. That means depending on the size of the panel you will need to use THWN, XHHW, or USE.

Old 05-06-14, 04:57 PM
R
JerseyMatt - I have made note of that. Thank you for the help. Roger

Old 05-06-14, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 326 Votes on 280 Posts
Yes, per NEC any unconditioned crawlspace whether dirt or concrete floor is considered a damp location (that's why unfinished basements and crawlspaces require GFCI receptacles)
Based on the above info, that would mean one could not use NM-b in an unfinished basement. That is not correct and is done all the time.

I have been in many crawl spaces that were bone dry. I think this might be something to ask your AHJ because IMO a crawl space might not be a damp location. NM is permitted in "both exposed and concealed work in normally dry locations"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: