40amp subpanel from main service disconnect?

Old 05-07-14, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
40amp subpanel from main service disconnect?

Hi everyone

I would like to know if it is possible to add an extra 40 Amp panel in the basement just for receptacles?
Details goes like this.., This is a 2 stories old church that only have some lights and cero receptacles in the basement.The receptacles will be use to connect a humidifier and some other small appliances when needed, like a drill or circular saw. In the basement is the meter and next to it a 400 amps single phase Main service disconnect (very old box), from there the 3 inches pipes run inside the ceiling and wall to a 100 amp distribution panel in first fl., if i want to run the 40amp panel from second sub in 1st FL sub panel that would be a big hassle , and it would be a lot easy to run cables from a Main Service Disconnect panel., I know it may sound crazy , but i just wanted to know if it is possible.
I looked for an Master electrician to move the meter outside, change the main service disconnect and he was asking for $8,000 here in Brooklyn NY.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-14, 08:28 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Well, of course it is possible but why limit it to 40 amperes? I would install nothing less than a 100 ampere panel and maybe even a 125 amp panel but fed by a 100 ampere breaker.

Old 05-08-14, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Furd for your reply.
A 100 amp sub sounds fine.