Ceiling fan woes...

Old 05-09-14, 01:26 PM
Ceiling fan woes...

Hi guys.

I like to consider myself fairly proficient with 12v direct current electrical but when I get into a house wiring problem, I'm stumped. Here's the problem.

I have a ceiling fan in my dining room that is controlled by 2 switches. One of the switches, I believe, is just there to feed the other. It has a red, white and black wire in a single gang box, 1 feed. (Picture attached)

The other switch, which is the whole reason I'm replacing it, is a dimmer switch. It was meant for an incandescent fixture only and it's making the motor on my fan hum, and I'm afraid that it may cause a fire if left unattended.. It's also a single gang box, but it has 3 feeds, one of which, I'm assuming, is from the other switch as previously stated, and another going out to other outlets on the circuit. The one going to the wall outlets (or so I'm assuming) has just a black and white wire, one of the feeds has black and white and the other is black white and red. All have the ground strap twisted around the wire cover at the base.

I bought 2 standard 3-way rocker switches that I'm wanting to install, but I have no idea where this red wire goes, or how I'm supposed to turn this single gang into a Junction box, in effect.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I know that white is common, but which screw on the switch is common? Black? Gold? Help! Again, thanks in advance, and I apologize for the long, albeit detailed, post.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-14, 01:29 PM
Sorry for the sideways pictures. Don't quite know what happened there. .

Old 05-09-14, 02:15 PM
eliminating one of the switches?

Is there a way to eliminate the switch that provides the power to the switch that controls the fan?

Old 05-09-14, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
Determine what color wire is connected to the common of the dimmer. Same color wire will be connected to the common of the 3-way in the single cable box. The other two wires of the 3-conductor cable are your travelers.

If you take pictures with a phone are tablet you can't change the real orientation by turning your tablet or phone. It doesn't change the XCIF data. Instead use an image program like IRfanview to rotate the image.

Old 05-10-14, 03:10 PM
Thank you Ray. I was looking at it a little better last night and noticed that I had taken a tail off of the group of white wires. Put that back together and wired the switch as I had done on the other switch. The black wire went to the black screw and the other two don't really matter as to their position. Just a moment of drunken clarity.

Old 05-11-14, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
So can we assume you are all set here ?