Recessing a TV behind a mirror

Old 05-10-14, 06:18 AM
Recessing a TV behind a mirror

I'd like to build one of those tv-behind-a-mirror solutions. It would involve recessing an LCD monitor into the wall.

While the carpentry aspects of this are solvable, I'm not sure about the electrical requirements. Every single monitor I've ever seen has a detachable power cord. Is it 'legal' to embed that in the wall behind a mirror?

I suppose I could either run a power feed into the wall cavity, or run the power cord from the monitor down the inside of the wall and bring it outside the wall under the bathroom sink and plug it into an outlet. Is either of these preferable to the other?

If I run power to the monitor in the wall cavity, can I put a regular outlet inside the wall cavity? (I'm not sure how the geometry of this would work out but I imagine that it could be done.) Can I splice the monitor's power cord to the power feed inside an electrical box in the wall cavity?

The cavity in the wall will be covered by a mirror that is much, much larger than the cavity itself, so for practical purposes, I don't think the cavity could be considered 'accessible'. But then again, I'm treading in an area of the electrical code about which I know absolutely nothing.

I appreciate the community's input!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-14, 06:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You won't be able to run the plug/cord from the TV in the wall cavity unless it is accessible. Work on the accessibility thing first. What if you ever have to repair the TV? How will you get to it? Can the mirror be made removable via clips, screws etc? I would run romex from the nearest receptacle into the framed opening that you will make and install a receptacle in the recess. You can plug the TV in at that point, but still need the accessibility.

Old 05-10-14, 06:55 AM
Group Moderator
As long as the mirror is removable as Chandler posted, it is accessible. Non-accessable would be if the mirror is glued in place, or some other way of permanently mounting it to the wall.

Old 05-10-14, 07:03 AM
Group Moderator
If the mirror is framed hinges on the frame. What is on the other side of the wall where the recess is? Could a door be put on that side with the TV on the door or maybe a backless cabinet to house the TV.

Old 05-10-14, 08:35 AM
Non-accessable would be if the mirror is glued in place, or some other way of permanently mounting it to the wall.
OR.....if tools are necessary in order to access.

Old 05-10-14, 09:17 AM
Don't forget the cooling requirements for your TV.

Old 05-10-14, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
OR.....if tools are necessary in order to access.
You're thinking of readily accessible. Accessible means you can gain access without damaging the wall finish. For example, ladders and screwdrivers are required to gain access to a box in a suspended ceiling. The box is still accessible per NEC.

Old 05-10-14, 12:32 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

The mirror is held to the wall with clips. I guess that means it's accessible. Given the feedback here, I'll look at running Romex down the wall cavity, framing out an opening, mounting an electrical outlet to the framing, and plugging in the monitor using a standard power cord. (The monitor will also of course Mount to the framing.)

I think this thread gives me enough confidence to talk to the AHJ.

Old 05-10-14, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They have nice recessed outlet boxes in lowes that allow a flat accessory installation.

Old 05-10-14, 02:09 PM
You're thinking of readily accessible. Accessible means you can gain access without damaging the wall finish. For example, ladders and screwdrivers are required to gain access to a box in a suspended ceiling. The box is still accessible per NEC.
Yep, you're right. .........................