Old wiring / switch replacement

Old 05-10-14, 10:52 AM
Old wiring / switch replacement

How do I install a new switch when the wires to the current switch are fused to it? There are also a ton of wires so I wouldn't know how to connect to the new switch. Help please. Below are pictures showing the hardware I'm working with. Thanks as always. Name:  20140510_122514.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  21.6 KBName:  20140510_114341.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  42.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-14, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
How do I install a new switch when the wires to the current switch are fused to it?
You cut them as close as possible to the old switch.
so I wouldn't know how to connect to the new switch
As you cut and strip each wire connect it to the new switch in the exact same position if they are single location switches (not 3-ways). If these are 3-way switches be sure to move the common wire from the old switch to the common of the new switch. Common may not be in the same position. Look for the odd colored screw.

Please show us the other side of the new triplex switch. Are there any tabs on that side connecting the individual switches?

Old 05-10-14, 02:41 PM
the wires to the current switch are fused to it?
The wires in the picture appear to be pigtails off the switches....OR....they are backstabbed into the back of the switch.

Old 05-10-14, 03:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would expect to see wire but connections to the switches leads tuck in the box.

Old 05-10-14, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
So those aren't really the house wires in the picture, missed that. Pull the house wires out so we can see the real connections and take another picture.

Old 05-10-14, 03:41 PM
More pictures

Family is all back home so I'm not cutting the power, but here is the box next to the one in question where no switch is attached. Also the other side of the triple rocker.

You think the wires that are attached to the switch on the right are actually not the house wires, but are somehow fastened to the house wires? Is that what you're saying?

Name:  20140210_214054.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  36.0 KBName:  20140510_172915.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  18.6 KB

Old 05-10-14, 03:55 PM
hmmm Looking to me like you have a low voltage switching system in your house. Do you know where the relay panel might be? Why were you wanting to change the switches?

Old 05-10-14, 05:52 PM
yup, low voltage relay system, looks like Bryant or GE, more info on these can be found here
Old Low Voltage Lighting System Switches, Relays, Wall Switch Plates

Old 05-12-14, 10:27 AM
Re:

I'm not familiar with low voltage systems or what the relay panel would be. Anyone want to fill me in?

I'm changing switches because one has been removed and thrown away, so I wanted to change them both so that they match.

Old 05-12-14, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
The wiring in the box is 12 or 24 volts and uses special switches not generally available. The power to the light is controlled by a relay and that relay is controlled by the switch. Sometimes an individual relay is near the light but more usually all the relays are in a single large box located some where in the house. All the 120 light wiring comes from there and all the 12v or 24v volt switches go there.

Name:  LowVoltageRewiredGERelayBox020DFs.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  LowVoltRelay105DJFss.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  4.7 KB

Old 05-12-14, 05:00 PM
the switch that you have will not work with your system, it would only cause more damage and burn out the relay coils. if you take a look at the kyle switch plate web site they show you which switches are interchangeable with your current system and you can order from them as well. Very doubtful a hardware store would have them unless they specifically dealt in hard to find goods or were a really old store with old stock. you might find some switches thought a local electrical supply house that specializes in commercial work as ge still produces a similar system for commercial work, but the style of switch you currently have is no longer produced and both sets would need to be replaced to match.

Old 06-09-14, 10:47 AM
Ok...

Seems pretty clear that I need a professional to come in and help. I'm in the north Bergen county area (NJ). Any recommendations for honest/competent electricians?

Old 06-09-14, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
The forum does not do recommendations.

Old 06-09-14, 11:06 AM
Ok...

Fair enough...I've tried using the phonebook, but there are hundreds in there and the ones I've called either didn't answer or didn't speak English. This has been a lot more difficult than I imagined.

Old 06-09-14, 12:33 PM
Group Moderator
If the system was working and you just wanted to change a switch bank..... that shouldn't be too difficult.

Go up to the link left for Kyle and order a plate that is similar to yours. All the switches are connected with three wires per switch.

Your need to choose the plate first..... by quantity of switches and white or ivory.
GE Low Voltage Switches, Relays, Switch Plates - New Replacement Parts

You'll need to order three switches per plate. RS-232 for ivory or RS-237 for white.
GE Low Voltage Switches, Low Voltage Light Switch Replacement Parts

I usually keep a few spares licking around but my supply has been depleted. Whether you hire an electrician or do it yourself..... the switches would have to be ordered. You're looking at almost 50.00 per three switch setup if you buy the parts.

Old 06-09-14, 01:01 PM
So lets say I get the requisite plates and switches. This still leaves me with the problem of me not knowing how to go about connecting the wires to the switches.

Name:  RS-237.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  39.6 KB

I guess the switches come with connectors that should make it easy to rig? Looks simple enough looking at the Kyle website's pictures of the switches, but then I look at the wires coming out of the box and it looks way more complicated.

Name:  Wires in box (wired).jpg
Views: 289
Size:  37.4 KBName:  Wires in box (unwired).jpg
Views: 440
Size:  35.1 KB

Old 06-09-14, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
When you replace the switches..... you transfer one wire at a time so as not to short them out.
Your switches have the wires soldered directly to them. Your new switches will use those red crimps. You'll cut each wire off right at the back of the switch.