Adding a receptacle to three switches in one box

Old 05-13-14, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Adding a receptacle to three switches in one box

I'm reasonably comfortable with house wiring but this one has me stumped. I have three switches (light, heat lamp, and fan). I want to add one receptacle (always hot) in one box. Using the original wiring I have replaced the light switch (single toggle) with a switch/receptacle unit. As of now the three switches power (on - off) their respective items but I don't know how to add in the receptacle. Can someone please send me a diagram or otherwise show me how to do this. Thank to all.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-14, 12:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If this is in a bathroom, by U.S. codes and I believe yours also, you'll need to install a GFI type receptacle.

To answer your question directly. When you pull the switch out, you'll have two wires..... one is the hot in to the switch and the other is the switched hot out. When you install the switch/receptacle combo..... you'll need to make sure that the always live black wire goes to the switch in/hot side of the receptacle. That's the side where the receptacle and switch terminal are tied together. Then you'll need to locate neutral in the switch box and connect that to the neutral side of the receptacle.

If you don't find two black wires on the switch you are removing.... let us know.