Sub-panel in shed and Pool circuit question

Old 05-15-14, 06:26 AM
Sub-panel in shed and Pool circuit question

Hey guys,

So, I'm in the midst of my pool install. The electrical for the pool consists of a single 3/4 HP 110v pump....that's it!

There is a shed about 10 feet from the pool.

I was thinking I would run a 30a subpanel into the shed, probably using 10 gauge wire in conduit, so I don't have to dig 2 feet down in the shale that is my dirt.

So I was thinking a 30amp GFCI breaker in the main panel.

It's almost exactly 100 foot run to where I'd like to put the subpanel. I was planning on using 10-2 UF wire in plastic conduit to the subpanel. The subpanel just needs to have a few small breakers, as I'd like an outlet in the shed and then the circuit for the pump. The pump would be the main draw, the outlet might be for a drop light or vacuum cleaner on occasion. No air compressors or welders or anything.

I know there are some stipulations on the electrical for the pump...would these need to apply from the main panel, or would they apply from the subpanel? Basically, I'm speaking of the use of THWN individually wrapped wires to the pump. as per code (NEC 680, I believe?)

Also, I understand that subpanels in other buildings require their own ground rod. This has me a little confused. I know you isolate the ground and the neutral in such a situation. So, at the main panel, I'd hook up the hot, neutral and ground as normal for a circuit. Then at the sub I'd hook the hot and the neutral up as normal, but the ground wouldn't be hooked to the panel, it'd go to a ground rod?

Anyway, any advice is appreciated. I've rewired my entire house, so I'm pretty good with electrical, but this going outside and then working with code for pools is a bit different.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-14, 06:39 AM
Group Moderator
I was planning on using 10-2 UF wire in plastic conduit to the subpanel.
Sub panels are generally 120/240 not 120. It would cost only slightly more to run 10-3 and double your capacity but if you use PVC conduit best practice is to use individual conductors not cable.
but the ground wouldn't be hooked to the panel, it'd go to a ground rod?
No, a ground bar bonded to the panel is added to the panel and the EGC from the main panel and the GEC from the ground rod and all branch circuit grounds goes to the ground bar. The neutral bar must be isolated.

If you do install a 120 sub panel as you originally indicated you will find them expensive and hard to find. You will probably end up using a 240 panel and adapting it to 120. Yet another reason to use 3 conductors plus ground and doing a 120/240 subpanel.

Old 05-15-14, 07:03 AM
I was planning on using 10-2 UF wire in plastic conduit to the subpanel.
I see no real advantages in using UF cable in conduit, but I see several disadvantages. The cost of UF cable is significantly higher than using THHN/THWN individual conductors and the UF cable is much more difficult to pull in conduit. UF cable is also difficult to strip and work with.

Old 05-15-14, 07:15 AM
Ok, no biggie...i can use THWN or whathaveyou. As far as the rest of the questions, dealing with the pool? Am I good just assuming those rules are for subpanel to pool, rather than the entire wiring project?

Thanks for the replies...I definitely appreciate it!