Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

What are maximum operating temperatures for 12V 1 or 2 amp power adapters?

Old 05-15-14, 07:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I am running a few 12 Volt power adapters in my attic (for Internet Switch and the such)... in the summer ambient temp can get to 110 ish F. Which means the attic is way hotter than that. I was wondering what is the typical max temp (or at least whats a good range) for these? Im in Southern California, so its dry hot not wet (humid) hot.

They are something like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31756[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-14, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
Humidity has no effect on temperature on a unit like that. That's only a human response.

Do those units run warm now ? They are internally thermally protected which means at a certain temperature the thermal overload will either temporarily or permanently open based on design. In other words it's risky using them up there.

Old 05-15-14, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the reply PJmax, the outlet its hooked up to has a temperature sensor that I can set to cut the power at certain temperature. I was wondering what to set that to? (Range is like 90 degrees to 180)

Currently its set to 107ish degrees F. I was wondering if thats a good or bad ceiling? If I have room to increase it or if I should decrease it?

Currently they dont get much hotter than their normal operating temperatures. At least to the feel they feel like if they are plugged in down in a normal outlet in the house.

Whats the worst that would happen with these? If it gets blown out I am ok with that, I am worried about a possible fire hazard? It is 12v, so is a fire even possible?

Old 05-15-14, 08:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is the equipment in this environment also? I'd be worried about the equipment.

Old 05-15-14, 08:31 PM
No the equipment is downstairs, the wires from the power adapters run through a closet into the attic where they are plugged in. Only the adapters are plugged in in the attic.

Old 05-15-14, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
I'd suggest putting receptacles in the closet. You just need to fish a cable from the receptacle in the attic into the closet wall.

Old 05-15-14, 08:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's just an E-core transformer, a couple diodes, and a capacitor inside. Transformers are installed in attics all the time for doorbells and intercoms.. It won't cause a fire. However running the cords through drywall is a big no-no.

Old 05-15-14, 11:47 PM
So the cords arent running through drywall, well not through the wall anyways. They are just going down through a quarter sized hole in the ceiling inside the closet... is that still a no-no? Biggest reason I did it this way is to avoid running a set of outlets into the closet... but I guess if this is a bad setup I can do that... having big power bricks in the attic also makes the closet look a lot cleaner.

See pic below for reference:

Name:  Closet.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  15.0 KB

Old 05-16-14, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
having big power bricks in the attic also makes the closet look a lot cleaner.
<Opinion> Say what? It's a closet. A couple of power adapters are not really ugly anyway.</opinion>