random gfi tripping issue

Old 05-15-14, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
random gfi tripping issue

I have a fridge on a gfi circuit. Its been like this for 5 plus years. The breaker is 20amps and the gfi is rated for 20 amps. The fridge states that it needs 15 amps.

A few month ago, the gfi started to trip. So to trouble shoot the problem. I ran the fridge off of a heavy duty extension cord to another circuit. This circuit did not trip the breaker the entire time the fridge was one it, but that circuit didnt have a gfi.

Now, I thought maybe the gfi socket was going bad, so I bought a replacement. I installed it and the fridge still trips it. Its very random though. If I dont open the fridge door, the gfi will never trip. About 1/2 the time when I open or close the door, thd gfi trips though.

Any suggestions on what this could be? Is it a wiring issue or an aplliance issue? I have to run the fridge on a gfi until I redo my kitched because the code in my area states all counter top circuits have to have a gfi and both ciruit go to the counter.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-14, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is it a wiring issue or an aplliance issue?
Most likely appliance.
If I dont open the fridge door, the gfi will never trip.
Duct tape down the light switch. Does the refrigerator now not trip the GFCI when you open it?

Old 05-16-14, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good idea ...I will try that