new service panel install

Old 05-14-14, 11:27 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new service panel install

I am beginning the planning process to do a complete rewire on my house. I am upgrading from a 60a Fuse box to a new 200A service. I have a few questions. My house has mostly older wiring. The wiring is 2 conductor cloth sheathed wire. Here is my plan, let me know what you think.. I am going to Install a new riser,meter base, and 200A service panel. The new service panel will go right next to the Old fuse box. I am planning on using the old fuse box as a junction box to bring all the house wiring over to the new panel. This will only be a temporary thing until I am able to replace all the old wiring with romex. Can I use the old non-grounded circuits that exist in the house in the new panel or will the Inspector not buy off on this. My plan is to then start replacing the branch circuits one at a time until they are all updated. My thought in doing it this way is that it will minimize the time I am without power. What do you think?
Thanks

Old 05-15-14, 04:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It may be the inspector will be the only one who can make that call due to local regulations. I would check with them to see what the requirements would be. Often when anything in a circuit is updated, it all must be updated to the current code.

Old 05-15-14, 06:54 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
What do you think?
I agree with Chandler's thoughts on asking the inspector what he wants to see and will accept, but I also want to add that your plan is solid, the old panel is frequently used as a junction box. The only thing I would question about your plan is if you currently have a 60 amp service, why do you think you need 200 amps? Unless you are adding significant new loads to the service, such as electric heat or electric water heating, you probably don't actually need more than a 100 amp service. You can buy a new 100 amp main breaker panel (value pack) with 30 circuits, copper bus and about 6 breakers for around $75 to $100 at a big box store.

Old 05-16-14, 01:07 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It looks like I need to talk with the inspector. There are a few reasons I was thinking a 200amp panel. We are going to finish out our basement. I also have a few lines that I want to add to my garage. I have a tig welder that requires 50A and a air compressed that will require another 50A plus add some other outlets to the garage. I also installed electric heat under the tile in our bathroom and kitchen. If I'm going to the trouble of doing the work I'd rather have more capacity than I need.

Old 05-16-14, 07:09 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I have a tig welder that requires 50A and a air compressed that will require another 50A plus add some other outlets to the garage. I also installed electric heat under the tile in our bathroom and kitchen.
Those are significant loads, although not constant loads. Regardless, those are a good reason to go to a 200 amp service. I only asked because many people think they need 200 amps when they really don't have the loads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: