Cable tie in furnace question

Old 05-17-14, 04:30 AM
Cable tie in furnace question

Theres a small splice box inside my furnace where the house wires splice with the furnace wires. The furnace wires come thru a small knockout in that box and there is another smaller hole above that a push-in wire tie is secured to.

This wire tire sort of resembles a toggle bolt as there are plastic wings that snap into the hole and on the other side is a standard zip that the furnace conductors are inside.

Anyway, I needed to remake the splice in that box. In order to get adaquete slack, I had to remove this ziptie. I did not have another one though. Instead I used a standard ziptie to bundle the three conductors.... they still go thru the same knockout of course. But now if you were to grab the wires on the outside of this "makeup box" as they call it, and jiggle it they would move. So the other ziptie was a strain relief perhaps.

The knockout the wires actually go thru is rounded off, so bushing is not an issue.

After remaking my splice, and using a standard zip tie in the same place however, not secured to the splice box, should I be concerned that there is enough vibration to cause a short or something?

In either case, with the toggle style zip in place or not, the wires are still touching the same exact places on the knockout they enter the box from.

This will make little sense I am sure, but I thought I might try for an answer from you knowledgable gentlemen.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-14, 04:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, pictures would tell the tale. Difficult to follow.

Old 05-17-14, 05:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like you are fine with the new arrangement, but a pic would help us to visualize.

Old 05-17-14, 06:37 AM
Picture is kind of impossible at this point, the old cable tie is gone and I would have to take everything apart including the makeup box to snap a photo.

I just figured this might ring a bell with someone familiar with the makeup boxes in modern furnacess.

Old 05-17-14, 07:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
OK, from your description are these the grommets to which you refer? If so, they are just fine.

Name:  Junction-box-grommets-w.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  17.9 KB

Old 05-17-14, 07:35 AM
No, im not referring to grommets... im referring to push-mount cable ties. FWIW, those dohickeys in your photo are Romex push connectors and wouldn't be used with single conductors.

I agree, unless your familiar with these splice boxes inside new furnaces, I don't think this thread will be of much help without photos.

Old 05-17-14, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
That's exactly what they are called...... push-pin mount cable ties.

Name:  ties.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  14.0 KB

Old 05-17-14, 09:56 AM
That is what I am talking about. Thanks.

So there was the knockout the wires come thru (no gromete, it has rounded edges so no bushing was on it). Then there is a smaller hole right above the knockout which the push in connector attaches... then the conductors are zip tied.

So I didn't have the push in connector so I just ziptied . So if you tug on the wires they will move. I had no choice but to cut the connector off in order to get slack to make my splice.

Not sure what I am asking I guess I am not sure what its function was.... I was thinking this type of connector at an interior splice box was a standard that you might have run into before....

Old 05-17-14, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Just make sure the wires are secure and cannot rub against a sharp edge and you should be fine.