Help with home electrical wiring

Old 05-17-14, 02:36 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with home electrical wiring

Hey guys,

I have a room in my garage that the lights don't work, and I'm not sure about how to go about fixing them. I'm hoping it's a simple DIY job.

In the room there are two florescent lights won't turn on, and an outdoor light right next to it that won't turn on. The indoor switches are 3 way switches (which I just replaced), and the outdoor is a single switch. The room has a closet that the light does work in and all the outlets work. The previous owner had tried to hard wire a small for florescent bulb (like you would have at a desk) into one of the florescent bulbs wiring and glue it next to the current bulb, and that also failed to work.

I checked the switches and I'm getting power to them, not sure where to go next in the troubleshooting process.

Thanks!

Old 05-17-14, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,980 Upvotes on 3,572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's very hard to follow what you have there.
Did you check the power to the switches to neutral with a meter or did you use one of those non contact testers ?

Old 05-17-14, 03:36 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What other information can I give you? Not knowing what information I should be checking is part of my confusion.

I checked it with a non contact tester.

Old 05-17-14, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,980 Upvotes on 3,572 Posts
A circuit consists of a hot wire and a neutral. You used a non contact voltage checker and found out that you have your 120v hot. You need to pull the switches out of the boxes and see if there is 120vac between the hot and neutral. You may have an open neutral.

Old 05-17-14, 04:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
There is a troubleshooting stick at the top of the forum designed to assist with these problems that will guide you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: