Cleaning up junction box

Old 05-17-14, 06:22 PM
Cleaning up junction box

Thanks in advance for your replies. I have a junction box that was messy and had an old connection for an old doorbell that had been removed. The house is from the 1950s and has the grounded metal wiring. One side had black, white and red and the other had black and white. After shutting off the breaker I connected black to black, white to white and I capped off the red wire with a wire nut. I flipped the breaker back on and verified everything is functioning normally. Are there any possible issues I need to be concerned with this setup? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-14, 08:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds correct. I assume the red wire wasn't used prior? Also, assuming the grounds are tied together and bonded to the box (unless you're talking about MC wire where there isn't a separate ground wire).

You can always post a picture if you'd like more suggestions/feedback.

Old 05-17-14, 08:19 PM
It was tied in to something else that isn't being used anymore, like I said it was a mess. Yes it's MC wire.

Old 05-19-14, 06:51 AM
MC should have a bond wire in the cable
Geo

Old 05-19-14, 06:54 AM
MC should have a bond wire in the cable,if it was built in the 50's it was BX which only had a thin strip inside that was suppose to be for bonding
Geo

Mod Note: MC cable does not have a bond strip. It does contain a grounding conductor.

Last edited by pcboss; 05-20-14 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 06:59 AM
Group Moderator
The bonding strip of BX/AC cable is there to insure a reliable connection to the cable armor. The armor is the grounding path, not just the strip.