Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Retrofitting 4 prong 240V oven plug (Ground tied to neutral)

Retrofitting 4 prong 240V oven plug (Ground tied to neutral)

Old 05-18-14, 08:07 PM
Lightbulb Retrofitting 4 prong 240V oven plug (Ground tied to neutral)

We are updating the range and consequently the plug. The outlet is currently wired with 2 hit leads and a neutral--wired for a 3-prong plug. The new plug (4-prong) requires a ground...which, of course, isn't in the line.

The circuit box has the neutral lines and ground lines all tied to the neutral bar. Since the range is on its own circuit and since the neutral and ground travel the same path, can I safely tie the ground to the neutral line?

There is no way to run a wire back to the box. I feel good about this solution, but what do you think?

Attached Images  

Last edited by RichardRobot; 05-18-14 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-14, 08:21 PM
Group Moderator
can I safely tie the ground to the in the receptacle?
No. You change the cord set not the receptacle. You install a three wire cord set per the manufacturers instructions.

Old 05-18-14, 09:11 PM
Sorry that was meant to read, "Can I safely tie the ground to the neutral wire in the outlet box." The manufacturer requires a 4 prong plug.

Old 05-18-14, 09:57 PM
Group Moderator
No, as stated you can not tie the neutral to the ground. If the manufacturers instructions do not permit a 3-wire cord than you must replace the cable to the receptacle. However it is very unusual for a manufacturer to require 4-wire. Can you provide an online link to the manual?

Old 05-19-14, 05:49 AM
Group Moderator
You can connect the ground to the box ONLY if it is wired in an wiring method that is approved for grounding, such as EMT. Flexible conduit IS NOT an approved method for grounding. You mentioned there is no way to get a ground wire to the range, so I suspect you do not have a raceway wiring method. In which case you need to follow Ray's info.