Pool Pump Timer Questions.

Old 05-19-14, 09:09 AM
Pool Pump Timer Questions.

My existing GE pool pump timer has died on me. The problem is in the 3-way rocker switch. It started getting touchy a month ago and now it won't work at all. It rocks back and forth without really clicking into any definite place...

This timer is a double pole double throw model (circuit is 240V). Does the replacement need to be the same? I want to order one today if possible.

In the mean time, I have removed the old timer and, I'm hoping I can connect the wires directly and control the operation from the breaker. Right?

There are 3 blacks coming from the panel and black/white/ground from the pump. What are the proper wire-wire connections?

All help appreciated.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-14, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
timer has died on me. The problem is in the 3-way rocker switch... it won't work at all... This timer is a double pole double throw model (circuit is 240V).
A timer would usually be single throw not double throw. A timer does not normally have a rocker switch. Are you sure it is just a timer? Can't you replace the rocker switch? What does the rocker switch do? Can you give us a picture of the whole device and a make and model number

Old 05-19-14, 10:39 AM
Thanks.

Thanks for your reply.

I've attached a photo of the unit, removed from the case.

No model # is given on the case. It says "GE Time Switch - Double Pole double throw" Switch DPDT.

The rocker switch is like a 3 position, 3 pole boat type switch, that can be off, timed on, or manual override, constant on. It indicates 16(2)A 250V.

As far as I can tell it is similar to this one:

2 Pcs x AC 250V 10A AC 125A 15A 3 Pin SPDT ON-OFF-ON 3 Position Boat Rocker Switch - Wall Light Switches - Amazon.com

It is soldered into position on the circuit board, as seen in photo 2.

I guess I'd have nothing to lose by trying to remove the rocker switch. Haven't un-soldered anything from a circuit board before. Are the integrated circuits easy to destroy? I guess I'll find out...

Any suggestions?

Attached Images   
Old 05-19-14, 03:14 PM
Update

OK, I have removed the rocker switch from the board and ordered replacement(s).

The replacement won't arrive until the end of the week.

Back to a previous question.

With the wiring I have - 3 blacks from the panel, and black/white/ground from the pump, is it possible to hardwire them together temporarily? If so, what wires mate with which?

Old 05-19-14, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
f you want to use that board without the switch....... solder a little piece of jumper wire between the terminals based on which function you want. The center is the common on the switch. The wire you use for a jumper can be anything at all.... even a thin piece of telephone wire as it only controls a relay.

Name:  pool.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  25.2 KB

Old 05-19-14, 09:30 PM
Group Moderator
Or you could use a three way light switch mounted in a handy box next to the timer. Solder three wires. Center wire goes to the common (dark gray screw) of the 3-way switch. The other two wires go to the two brass screws on the 3-way switch.