New outdoor light question

Old 05-21-14, 07:31 AM
New outdoor light question

I plan to install a flood light above my garage. I already have the wiring from an old light in the garage to a switch. My question is what is needed from the j-box in the garage attic to the outdoor light? I'll be going from the garage attic, through block, to the outside. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-14, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
My question is what is needed from the j-box in the garage attic to the outdoor light?
You should either install 12/2 or 14/2 NM-b depending what size wire/breaker is currently used on the circuit. Match what ever you have.

On the block I would suggest installing a surface mounted box. Otherwise you will have to recess the box for the fixture into the block. Not a fun job.

Old 05-21-14, 07:28 PM
Thanks Ironhand. It is 12-2 on a 20A breaker. Can the NM go through the block on it's own? Just seal it with caulk? Also, does the existing switch inside the garage that will control the light need to be changed to a GFCI switch? Thought I read that somewhere. Thanks again.

Old 05-21-14, 09:47 PM
When I penetrate through an outside surface such as block, I usually run the Romex through a rigid steel nipple with bushings on one end and the box on the other end. You should never let Romex touch block, though as it will rot. If you're going directly through the block you should use UF.question

Last edited by pcboss; 05-23-14 at 07:47 AM. Reason: poster request to remove excess post
Old 05-22-14, 10:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could use a sleeve, but it is not required. Type NM cannot be embedded in masonry, but contact is not prohibited.

Old 05-22-14, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the help. Got the light up today and works great. I did go ahead an put EMT through the block, secured with a coupler.

Old 05-23-14, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the help. Got the light up today and works great. I did go ahead an put EMT through the block, secured with a coupler.
And a bushing on the bare end of the EMT sleeve to prevent it from cutting the NM cable?