need help with lightswitch

Old 05-21-14, 06:21 PM
need help with lightswitch

I think the light switch in my kitchen has gone out. It operates the ceiling fan and attached light. One day I flipped the switch and nothing. I have tried to change the switch but it is still not working. I went out and bought a new ceiling fan as well and still nothing. I was not smart and did not write down how the wires connected to the switch. So here is my question, how should the switch be wired. There are 3 wires, 1 red, 1 white and 1 black. The switch has one green screw on the left and two gold on the right. What wire should go where? Also someone told me that I should cut the exposed wire off and expose a new section, is this true?

Please help!

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-14, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
You have told us only half the circuit. What is the wiring at the fan?

Old 05-22-14, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
Is there another switch that also controlled the ceiling fan, like next to another door entering the kitchen? With those wires you've either got a three way circuit (two switches control the fan/light) or you have two switches, one controls the fan and the other the light.

Old 05-22-14, 06:35 PM
I have tried to change the switch but it is still not working. I went out and bought a new ceiling fan as well and still nothing. I was not smart and did not write down how the wires connected to the switch. So here is my question, how should the switch be wired.
You were not smart for replacing the switch and buying a new ceiling fan before troubleshooting the problem which easily could be something else entirely.