Outdoor power to a Gazebo question?

Old 05-22-14, 09:19 AM
Outdoor power to a Gazebo question?

I am running power to a single outlet and ceiling fan in a gazebo and I wanting to follow the NEC code. Since I have no plans to add additional electrical devices to this area I am going to run a branch circuit so I don't have to worry about installing grounding rods at the gazebo. The closest source of power is the meter/main lug combo that is on the side of my house. Currently there are 5 two pole breakers on this meter/combo unit that feed the main house panel in the garage as well as my stove, dishwater, dryer, and other 240 appliances. My questions are:

1. This combo meter/panel combo doesn't have a main disconnect switch. There is one slot left so if understand correctly I could add another breaker and still be under the no more than 6 throw rule?

2. Can I simply add a single pole 20 amp breaker to the meter/panel combo to feed the branch circuit or would it better to install a 2 pole breaker that feeds a subpanel and then feed the branch circuit to the gazebo from it?

3. If I install the subpanel on the backside of the house and I trench the cable from the meter/panel combo on the side of the house, can I forgo a ground rod since the sub panel is not on a detached structure?

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-14, 03:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Where is your main disconnect? That will determine what you can or cannot do in the panel. What size breaker(s) is/are serving the house?

Off topic question. DId you build the gazebo or did it come as a kit??

Old 05-22-14, 06:04 PM
1. This combo meter/panel combo doesn't have a main disconnect switch. There is one slot left so if understand correctly I could add another breaker and still be under the no more than 6 throw rule?
That is correct.

2. Can I simply add a single pole 20 amp breaker to the meter/panel combo to feed the branch circuit or would it better to install a 2 pole breaker that feeds a subpanel and then feed the branch circuit to the gazebo from it?
Either would be acceptable. If you are thinking you may desire to add additional loads in the future a sub-panel now would be a good idea. You do need to use a rain-tight panel if it is outside.

3. If I install the subpanel on the backside of the house and I trench the cable from the meter/panel combo on the side of the house, can I forgo a ground rod since the sub panel is not on a detached structure?
Yes.

Note, all the above is my opinion based upon more than 30 years of working around and with electricity and in accordance with my understanding of the National Electrical Code. Your LOCAL code may have provisions that invalidate my opinion.

Old 05-30-14, 11:21 AM
Sorry for the delayed response. I missed the email saying that somebody replied to my post. Thanks for the welcome as well as the advise. I think I am going to put a small GE outdoor Poly breaker panel right next to my meter/panel combo so I will have the option of additional circuits for future use.

Chandler,
I designed the gazebo myself using some ideas from various designs I looked at online. The main reason being I wanted a hexagon instead of a octagon and I couldn't find any kits in that configuration. The overall diameter is 14'4". Its on a monolithic 4 inch concrete pad with 10x10 footers. I used treated pine 6x6's with the rest being 2x6's. I used treated decking and then discovered that you must use galvanized or stainless roofing nails. Those are expensive so in hindsight I would have used non treated decking to save money. I still came in under $2000 for the whole project not counting the electrical.

Old 05-30-14, 11:47 AM
Reason I asked was we just finished assembling one for a client from kit form. I missed one footing by a couple of inches, but they said landscaping would take care of it. It is 14' also but in the ranfe of 4 times your cost went together well. Took me and a helper7 hour to dry in and my 2 helpers 4 to install balustrades , benches and roof peaks.

Old 05-30-14, 11:54 AM
Cost was the other reason for me going the DIY route. Using cheap treated pine really helped with the cost. It's a no frills design and looks like something you would see at a municipal park but it works perfectly for my hammock. Once I get me a ceiling fan wired in to fight this lower Alabama heat/humidity I will have it made in the shade : )

Old 05-30-14, 01:05 PM
Finally found a picture of the one we did. Cost them a bunch on the leading end, but they saved a ton just letting us put it together instead of crafting it from the ground up.

Name:  gazebo.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  53.0 KB