Outdoor Power Outlet stopped working?

Old 05-23-14, 10:43 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Power Outlet stopped working?

I was mowing my lawn with an electric mower this morning and accidentally ran over the extension cord. I unplugged the broken extension cord from my outdoor electrical outlet, quickly got another extension cord, and reconnected the mower. It didn't work. I tried several other tools in the outlet, and they didn't work. I checked the fuse box and everything looked okay.
I took the cover off of the outlet. Unfortunately, the outlet does not have a test switch. It is just a standard three prong outlet.
I'm sure there is a way to restart the outlet, but I can't figure out what it is. Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 05-23-14, 10:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,982 Upvotes on 3,574 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There is probably a GFI receptacle somewhere in the line. Here in the States they are required for all outside receptacles as well as ones in wet areas. With a GFI receptacle.... you can connect power to it and then connect other receptacles to the load side.

That standard outside receptacle could be connected to a GFI somewhere in the house. Check every GFI you know of in the house and garage. It's more than likely connected to one of them.

Old 05-24-14, 06:55 AM
W
Fuse box or circuit breaker box ?

If fuses , remove each one and test , replace & tighten snugly , but over tighten .

If CB's , remove the cover & carefully test each CB . Any that are off , try turning it off then turning it back on ( resetting it ) .

Also , as has been said , very likely it is a GFCI circuit breaker or receptacle . Probably in a location you least suspect . :-(

God bless
Wyr

Old 05-24-14, 08:02 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
very likely it is a GFCI circuit breaker or receptacle
The O/P is in Indonesia so it is unlikely he has an RCD receptacle.
Valentmark do you know if RCDs are usually required where you are?

Old 05-25-14, 03:20 AM
W
Sorry for the typo . :-(

Do not over tighten .

RCD receptacle ?

Does Indonesia use 120 VAC or 240 VAC for lites and receptacles ?

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: