service upgrade/rewire?

Old 05-24-14, 06:20 PM
service upgrade/rewire?

Hello everyone
I know that I am in need of a service upgrade, I am wondering the importance/ requirements of a rewire. I am currently on 150A service with an old screw In fuse system with pull out fuses.. house is approx. 1550 sq ft with full basement. I am also thinking about building a garage in the future. would 200A service be sufficient? I have gas heat and hot water. Elec. Dryer and a&c unit. 3 br 1 ba, kit. Lr, den. Most of the outlets are 2 prong. If I do an upgrade am i requiredto rewire or is that something I cando later? Also what should I be looking to pay for this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-14, 04:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Although rewiring won't be necessary to make the system work, you should check with your local permit department to see what they require

Old 05-25-14, 06:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Normally a service change or upgrade does not affect anything else like the branch circuits. Upgrading the grounding is normal.

Just because the panel is full does not mean you need an upgrade. Have you done a demand load calculation?

Old 05-26-14, 04:18 PM
No I have not done a load calculation.

Old 05-26-14, 07:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For a standard residence with gas heat, 150A should be sufficient for anything you need to do. Assuming you're just setting up a one-man shop in your garage, there are only so many tools you can use at once.

As others have said, most locales do not require any branch circuit upgrades when performing a panel upgrade. There's some other work that may be required (ground rods, water pipe bonding), but you should be able to limit it just to the incoming service entry, meter pan, and main panel.

Of course you should check with a local electrician or your local town/city building department to confirm.

Give 2 or 3 local electricians a call to get a good price. A lot of it will depend on the condition of your service entry wiring. Just a panel replacement is easier than if the service entry conductors and meter pan need to be replaced.

Old 05-28-14, 04:36 PM
Can I install a 200A panel with only 150A service in case I need to upgrade incoming service in the future ( planing on having a 220 welder and possibly a large air compressor)? Also if I dont rewire the whole house, how can I install 3 prong outlets in some locations...microwave, power strips ect. I have the adapters but they get lost and im tired of searching/ buying new one when I need to plug in a drill or something.

Old 05-28-14, 08:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The cable will need to be protected at its ampacity. You could install the panel and change the main breaker to a 150 but you will not like the cost.

For grounded circuits you would run a new circuit.