Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Removing a three way switch while adding a switch for under cabinet lighting

Old 05-25-14, 12:28 PM

Hi,

I'm on the last phase of adding under cabinet lighting wanted to make sure I've thought this through correctly.

I have an existing 3 gang box near my kitchen sink with a garbage disposal switch on it's own circuit. Then a switch for a canned light above the sink and what used to be a three way switch for the main kitchen lights. The three way switch I removed by capping off the "traveller/red" wire at both ends of the three way switch. At the switch I'm removing I then tied the other two wires together and and the switch I'm keeping I used the remaining two to connect the new single pole switch. That worked great, everything tested fine.

Now I have the pulled the 14/2 romex from under the cabinet into the existing 3 gang box and believe that I would wire it like so:
1) connect the neutrals/ground wires together and connect to the new switch.
2) connect the white wire of the under cabinet run to the existing grouping of white wires
3) grab power from the black grouping. This grouping already has a short black lead wire going to the switch for the can lights above the sink. So I'll add a new lead and connect to one side of the new switch.
4) last the black from the new under cabinet run connects into the switch.

Is that correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-14, 12:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as you are within the load limits of the circuit your plan sounds good.

Old 05-25-14, 01:31 PM
One follow up question then: Does it matter which side of the switch the two blacks are installed on? Does this answer change when going from a single pole to a dimmer switch?

Thanks again for any insight!

Old 05-25-14, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
A single pole switch doesn't care which way the wires are connected.

Some dimmers specify line and load. Line would be your power in and load would be the lights.