How do I decipher this electrical box wiring?

Old 05-26-14, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I decipher this electrical box wiring?

Bathroom has a single outlet with two switches. One switch is for the main lights, the other for the shower. I have a GCFI double outlet and a double switch to replace the single switch and switch/outlet combo. I've done some basic wiring before, but upon opening up the box realized I don't have a clue what is going on with the wiring!

Name:  belect2.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  40.8 KB

To the left is the switch for the main lights. To the right is the shower switch/outlet combo.

(Also note the four hots with exposed wire at the base of the screw connectors. Just more shoddy construction to these mass produced 60s era houses.)

What is the best way to decipher this so that I can correctly replace the switches & outlet?

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-14, 11:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
The black bundle at the bottom is your constant hot power. The single black on the switch is the switched hot. The white on the receptacle is your neutral.

Instead of using pigtails they wrapped the wires around the screws.

Old 05-26-14, 06:50 PM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
So it seems like you want to install a GFCI receptacle and 2 switches,if so take the 2 single black wires that are being switched now and place one each on the new switch device,I would remove the looped black wires and add two pigtails,put one end of the pigtail on the feed screw for the switch device,the other black pigtail to the line side of the GFCI remove the looped neutral and add a pigtail from the group where the copper is exposed and put the other end of the pigtail on the line side neutral of the GFCI. You should end up with 4 black wires under a wire nut
I hope this makes sense,it is much easier to do than explain.
Geo

Old 05-26-14, 07:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Name:  Bg.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  24.9 KB

Old 05-26-14, 07:55 PM
Thanks so much all, I think I can do this now.

In the meantime, I put everything back since I was busy installing a new outlet in the basement. Later found that a first floor room was without power. Went crazy trying to figure out what happened (the breaker box "directory" still isn't detailed enough). Then realized that the upstairs bathroom box probably feeds the downstairs room. Turns out one of the hots had popped out of the connector.

Old 05-27-14, 04:52 PM
Sorry, typo in my original posting. Should have written "Also note the four neutrals".

(I'm just posting this to avoid confusion for any other amateur electricians reading the thread henceforth!)

Old 05-27-14, 05:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you have an additional unswitched load cable it gets added in with the power in cable.. So that would be the whites of line , unswitched load, two switched loads to a pigtail to the GFCI. Line black and unswitched load black to two pigtails. One pigtail to the switch and one pigtail to the GFCI.