Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to 200amp service + new panel & remove old 100 amp panel

Upgrading to 200amp service + new panel & remove old 100 amp panel

Old 05-27-14, 11:51 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 26
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Upgrading to 200amp service + new panel & remove old 100 amp panel

I'm looking for some advice for my approach to upgrade from 100amp service to 200amp service, add a new panel, and remove the old panel.

I have existing 100amp service to my house via overhead wire, and a 100amp panel which is in need of replacement (moved into house recently, and the inspector said our panel type should be replaced (something to do with fire risk for that type of panel or type of breakers - the panel looks to be many decades old).

My goal is to upgrade to 200 amp service, have the power company bury our new 200amp service wire, and install a new 200 amp panel in place of the existing 100amp panel. I did this type of upgrade in my last house, but it's been a few years so I'd like your help refreshing my memory regarding what size of wire to run from the 200 amp panel to the meter as well as ask for some help with my approach for transitioning from the old/existing panel to the new panel.

There are currently about 20 circuits in the current panel, I plan to run all of those circuits to the new panel, but many of them will be replaced over the next few years as I remodel the house & upgrade/change out old fixtures.

I'm thinking about the below approach for installing the new panel to replace the old, and I would like your feedback on my plan.

The plan:
- Install the new 200amp panel next to the existing 100amp panel
- Run the service wire from the new panel in conduit to the meter and leave the wire dangling for future hookup by the power company when they run/bury the new service wire.
- Install breakers in the new panel which the existing circuits will hook up to after the new 200amp service is activated
- Install junction boxes in between the old panel and new panel, and run wires from the new breakers in the 200amp panel to the junction boxes for hookup to the existing wires when "cutover" from old panel to new occurs. Label all wires to correspond to what wires they will connect to from the old panel.
- New 200amp service is installed to the meter, the 200amp service wire from the new panel to the meter is connected by the power company, but power is not yet turned on from the meter to the new panel
- Remove old panel and connect existing fixtures/wires which were in the old panel to their corresponding wires in the junction boxes.

This approach would allow me to implement it over time so there's no as much urgency to get it all done while the power to the house is off, and also reduces the risk of wires being too short to reach the breakers in the new panel. Am I missing anything in the plan, or should I re-think the plan for any reasons?

Wire needed:
The current 100 amp panel is located very close to our meter. Maybe a 10 foot cable run. What type of cable do I need running from the new 200amp panel to the meter?

Thanks for any help or direction you can provide.
Old 05-27-14, 01:02 PM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,978
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I think you are adding extra work for yourself by leaving the old panel and adding junction boxes. I would just change out the old panel for the new one in the same location. You are going to need to get the power company and your inspection agency involved for power disconnect, permits and inspections.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: