Attic wiring, guide boards, and insulation?

Old 05-27-14, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic wiring, guide boards, and insulation?

Hello all -

Started reading wiring code when researching insulating the attic. We have blown-in insulation to the top level of the joists, but wanted to add batts on top of this. The wiring is run perpendicular to and on top of the joists, secured with staples. The attic is accessed by a pull down/fold out ladder.

I've read that I should have running boards? Or guide boards? Or both? I'm cross-eyed from Googling....and I'm still not clear if those are even different things. I've read the code but remain confused.

Also, I have read to have the wiring run over the insulation, under the insulation, and not to have the insulation touching it at all. What's preferable? Does the type of insulation make a difference?

I would like to make sure I have the wiring done correctly before adding the insulation. I'm still researching, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-14, 07:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
Running boards sound the same as guide boards and are only needed within 7' of the scuttle opening. They are also used to prevent damage to cable near a floor in the attic.

Typically the cables are under or in the insulation if blown in. Knob and tube wiring cannot be in insulation.

Old 05-27-14, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 410 Votes on 385 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The wiring is run perpendicular to and on top of the joists, secured with staples.
Ok.. is that wire close to the low part of the roof rafters in a place where it can't be walked on ?
It needs to be protected any where it can be walked on.

Old 05-27-14, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The wires run right by the ladder opening. Since they need to be protected, would I run a board on either side of them? 2x4?

Old 05-27-14, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 410 Votes on 385 Posts
2x4's on either side will work fine.