Receptacle Requirements - Residential

Old 05-28-14, 07:16 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Receptacle Requirements - Residential

I'm helping a buddy of mine wire his basement and there's a steel support post that has been framed around for drywall, and he seems to think it will require a receptacle. I don't think it does because it's not technically a wall--it's a post. I understand a receptacle is required for a wall space greater than 24", including around a corner, but it seems ridiculous that a plug would be required on a small post. The reason he thinks it is required is because a friend of his just had his basement inspected and the inspector made him add a plug in his post because it has a perimeter greater than 24". Seems absurd, but I really don't know. Anyone have the correct answer?

210.52(A)(2) Wall Space

This section contains three sentences that clarify the term “wall space.” As used in this section, a wall space is any space that is 2 feet (600 mm) or more in width. [210.52(A)(2)(1)] This provision is straightforward. If the space is less than 2 feet (600 mms) wide, it is not considered wall space; therefore no receptacle is required. If the space is 2 feet (600 mm) or more in width, then it is considered wall space, and consequently a receptacle outlet is required.
Sounds like the answer is no, a receptacle is not needed.

Last edited by mossman; 05-28-14 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-28-14, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 723 Posts
I think you pretty much answered your own question. If it is 24" or larger, it needs a receptacle. The only exception would be if it is a walkway, then the 10' rule would apply. I think it would be kind of handy to have one there for plugging in a vac or such. Extra receptacles are never a bad thing.

Old 05-28-14, 08:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
A steel support post would not, but a framed out post with those dimensions I believe the inspector was correct as it is now wall space.

Old 05-29-14, 08:53 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
A steel support post would not, but a framed out post with those dimensions I believe the inspector was correct as it is now wall space.
The post is 36" around, so apparently it will need a receptacle. Seems ridiculous, but that's the code I guess. I'll just put it on the backside where you can't see it. I still say 24" in width doesn't equate to 24" in perimeter, but what do I know. I suppose the code has to be general enough to cover all situations. For example, if the post was 10' around but consisted of a bunch of 23" sections, then it would definitely require a couple outlets.

Last edited by mossman; 05-29-14 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-29-14, 03:48 PM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
If the inspector is the same one that required the other one that pretty much answers the question .

Old 05-29-14, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 723 Posts
I still say 24" in width doesn't equate to 24" in perimeter, but what do I know.
Personally, I think your right, but the inspectors might have coffee together so it is better to CYA.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: