Moped wiring diagram...what's this resistor for?

Old 05-29-14, 09:29 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moped wiring diagram...what's this resistor for?

In the following wiring diagram for a Sach's Moped, to the right side, there's a 6.5 ohm resistor that's connected between the brake-light wire and ground. On my moped, someone cut that resistor out (before I bought it). The lights still work, but they're not very bright and the brake light comes on fairly slowly. The tail-light is always on and the brake light comes on (slowly) when I brake. Can anyone explain to me what that resistor might have been for? And what difference would it make if it was there or not? I'm thinking someone took it out thinking it would make the lights brighter. Is that true? If I put one back in, would my tail lights be even dimmer?

Thanks!

By the way, to see the diagram better, here's the original PDF (page 34):
http://www.mopedarmy.com/mediawiki/i...C_1A%2C_1D.pdf

Name:  sachs_wiring.jpg
Views: 7841
Size:  30.8 KB

Old 05-29-14, 10:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That resistor is used as ballast to keep a load on the generator to actually save that bulb.
In order for the bulbs to be the proper brightness..... they need to match the wattage on the schematic.

Old 05-29-14, 11:21 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moped Wiring

It would appear that the brake light is powered from the ignition circuit from the magneto the resistor remains in the circuit to allow the engine to continue to run if the bulb burns out. Here is a link to Sachs they may help you: Take a look at the second one down the page.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/119645618/...Wiring-Diagram

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: