Box extenders


Old 05-30-14, 09:04 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,524
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Box extenders

I have existing receptacles on the kitchen wall and the boxes are flushed with the wall. Well actually the boxes themselves are flushed with the stud faces plus a mud ring that adds another 1/2" or so to make them flushed with the wall.

However, I need to bump them out another 1/2" so they will be flushed with the back face of the kitchen cabinets.

I know there are all sorts of adjustable plastic box extenders. Are there any extenders that will do the job for one or two gang metal boxes? I can remove the mud rings but the standard metal extension rings are at least 1-1/2" deep.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-14, 09:51 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 53,582
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
You could use deeper mud rings or just leave the boxes as they are and add electrical outlet box extenders. They come in one, two or three gang.

Name:  51KX6A-eJ8L.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  49.9 KB
Old 05-31-14, 05:26 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 12,973
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
If you can remove the mud rings, just install deeper mud rings. You should be able to get 1" or so from the home store but I have installed up to 1 1/2" in the past.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: