modify adaptor

Old 06-02-14, 03:17 AM
modify adaptor

Hi, I recently bought a garage door open monitor through ebay (wireless working with a receiver in the house) and received a 110V input to a 12V 150mA output power supply/adaptor with the unit. I plugged it in and it worked for a couple of seconds and stopped. I realised only then that it is a 110V adapter and should have been 240v. I have other adaptors with 500mA strength and would like to know if it can be modified to work with this. Is it also possible to use a 12 volt battery with the receiver (soldering wires from the battery holder to the lines supplying power in the receiver? Hope someone can help please.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-14, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Not sure how your 240 volt power supplies are configured on the low side, so may not be much help, since we are basically a North American forum. I doubt you will be able to adapt the unit, but if your 240 volt to 12 volt power supply has the same low voltage plug, then it should work.

Old 06-02-14, 03:54 AM
A 500ma power supply will work fine as long as the polarity is correct. A 12-volt battery can also work, again, as long as the polarity is correct.

It is the load device that determines how much power is drawn from the supply, so as long as the supply is rated higher then the device you're OK.

Old 06-02-14, 06:18 AM
To Chandler: Thanks, The other power supply that I have has multiple connections and one of them is the correct size.
To Rick: Thanks for the info, someone else told me the same and now I now it can be done.

My device will be installed and up and running soon