Help with wall timer connections.

Old 06-02-14, 07:55 AM

I just tried connecting a WOODs electrical switch timer (59018) to replace my current wall switch (it has 4 switches). It has black, white, red and green wires. My home was built in the late 90s and i have a black, red (which is also black) and white wire outlet with a plastic housing. After connecting one black to black, one black to red, closing off the green (since it has a plastic housing), and white to the white bundle (there was a bundle of white wires that were just closed off), the timer wouldnt switch on. I reversed the black to black and black to red, and the timer still wouldnt switch on. I then noticed a white wire going to one of the other switches in the outlet so i spliced it and connected my white to that white. The timer came on but it makes a switching noise and the porch lights blink intermittently every second. I disconnected the white and it stopped blinking but stopped working all together. I reconnected it and the blinking started again. i removed all the porch bulbs and it stopped blinking. I had CFL bulbs in the porch lights (there are 3) so I pulled them all out and it stopped blinking. I put a non CFL into one of the lights and the blinking started again. What do i Do? I am so lost....

Last edited by Edwin Rabbipal; 06-02-14 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-14, 08:58 AM
Help with wall timer, WOODS 59018

I just tried connecting a WOODs electrical switch timer to replace my current wall switch (it has 4 switches). It has black, white, red and green wires. My home was built in the late 90s and i have a black, red (which is also black) and white wire outlet with a plastic housing. After connecting one black to black, one black to red, closing off the green (since it has a plastic housing), and white to the white bundle (there was a bundle of white wires that were just closed off), the timer wouldnt switch on. I reversed the black to black and black to red, and the timer still wouldnt switch on. I then noticed a white wire going to one of the other switches in the outlet so i spliced it and connected my white to that white. The timer came on but it makes a switching noise and the porch lights blink intermittently every second. I disconnected the white and it stopped blinking but stopped working all together. I reconnected it and the blinking started again. i removed all the porch bulbs and it stopped blinking. I had CFL bulbs in the porch lights (there are 3) so I pulled them all out and it stopped blinking. I put a non CFL into one of the lights and the blinking started again. What do i Do? I am so lost....

Last edited by Edwin Rabbipal; 06-02-14 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-02-14, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
I then noticed a white wire going to one of the other switches in the outlet so i spliced it and connected my white to that white.
The white on the timer must be connected to a neutral. The white on the switch is a hot. Hopefully you didn't fry the timer.
there was a bundle of white wires that were just closed off
That is your neutral.

You need to determine which house black is hot using a multimeter, preferably analog. (A non contact tester won't work.) The house wire that is hot goes to the black of the timer and the other house black to the light to the timer red. If it still doesn't work it may be bad.

Old 06-02-14, 06:18 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Old 06-02-14, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
Two almost identical threads merged.

Old 06-02-14, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
You really need a voltmeter or voltage tester to check that wiring properly. You need to determine the hot line for the timer and the load line.

You also need to determine the proper neutral wire. It sounds like it should be the large bundle of whites..... not a single white wire.

Pictures of the wiring with the switches removed..... BUT still wired would be helpful.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

(Thanks Ray..... lots of echos here)