New Service Question

Old 06-02-14, 10:01 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Service Question

I'm in the planning stages of building on 32 acres we purchased a year and a half ago. There is no power to the property currently, although there is service available at the road. If I opt for underground, I'll have to run a trench about 1200' to the house. In discussions with the power company, they say they'll run a "single-phase primary" to the site, terminating at a transformer... at a significant cost of course!

In an effort to save money, can I run secondary phase service from the house to the pole at the road where the power company can then put their transformer? They're talking about $20k for the primary phase wire....I assume if I get a thick enough cable I can run the secondary phase wire(s) to compensate for the distance loss?
Old 06-02-14, 11:35 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 29,711
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Lower the voltage the larger the wire to compensate for voltage drop. Larger the the wire higher the cost for the wire.
Old 06-03-14, 04:55 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,607
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I can't see where you have much of an option than to have the POCO run the underground to a pad mount transformer. I may not have all the parameters covered in your situation, but using 4/0 at that distance, you would experience a 16% voltage drop, which would be only 200 volts available. Ray will correct if not right.

You are only going to be building once, I would have the correct power available in fullness at my site rather than try to run 1/4 mile of underground with questionable results. This also puts full power at a closer location should you decide to erect a shop, barn, garage, etc.

Sometimes we have to bite the bullet.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: