GFCI Breaker trips when turned on

Old 06-05-14, 03:33 PM
GFCI Breaker trips when turned on

I just moved to a new house and discovered an outlet on the deck that was not GFCI. The box containing the outlet is waterproof (cover with gasket) but is not deep enough for a GFCI outlet. The box has one 3/4" PVC conduit entering and one 3/4" conduit leaving to another outlet downstream. That makes if difficult but not impossible to change the box, so I decided to go with a GFCI breaker. This circuit only has the two outlets on the deck. I changed the 20 amp breaker to a 20 amp GFCI breaker. I removed the white neutral from the grounding bus and connected it to the breaker along with the black hot wire. I connected the white wire that came with the breaker to the bonding bus. When I try to turn on the GFCI breaker it trips immediately. That means either the breaker is bad or there is a neutral ground fault. While I do not know code, I understand electricity. Nothing is plugged into either outlet. The outlets are cheap 15 amp outlets. I pulled both to make sure they where not back stabbed and they weren't. Is it possible the cheap outlets have a leakage? The conduit also has 6 ga. wires running to a hot tub. The conduit is 1" leaving the panel, and at a junction box, the 6 Ga wires go to the hot tub and the 12 ga. wires (black, white and green) go to the outlets.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-14, 04:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is a high likelihood there is corrosion or some other booger in the outdoor receptacles. Pull the receptacles and leave them outside the box temporarily to see if the breaker will reset.

Old 06-05-14, 05:10 PM
Thanks chandler for the quick response. I pulled the first outlet out of the box and I was able to re-set the breaker. That outlet and the 2nd outlet both work now without tripping the breaker. I will try cleaning the box and putting the outlet back in.

This is the first time I have used a GFCI breaker. Is the breaker just as good as a GFCI outlet?

Old 06-05-14, 05:17 PM
Same protection, only better, IMO. It protects all the wiring and circuits from the panel as opposed to receptacles which start their protection at their slots, and downline.

Old 06-05-14, 05:38 PM
Resolved

Thanks again chandler for the quick response. I removed the existing outlet, cleaned the copper wires and installed a new outlet, put it back in the box and all appears well. An easy fix for once. We are expecting heavy rain tonight, so I will know more in the morning. Both outlets are under the deck, so they are not exposed directly to the rain.

Old 06-05-14, 06:39 PM
If they stand any chance of getting wet, you should use weather resistant receptacles and "bubble" covers.

Old 06-05-14, 06:44 PM
If they stand any chance of getting wet, you should use weather resistant receptacles and "bubble" covers.
Technically, weather resistant receptacles are a code requirement, but many inspectors don't seem to know it or don't bother to check.

Old 06-05-14, 06:52 PM
This is the cover used, I did not change the cover. Is this a "bubble cover"? Not sure you mean by weather resistant receptacles. Is it the box? I will post a pic of the box.

Name:  Cover.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  14.1 KB

Old 06-05-14, 06:58 PM
This is the box used for both receptacles. 3/4" PVC conduit runs between the boxes.

Name:  Box.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  14.0 KB

Old 06-05-14, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
This is an in use cover (AKA bubble cover).

Name:  P1178.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  13.0 KB
Image source: summit.com

Old 06-05-14, 07:20 PM
Thanks for posting the picture Ray. I will get that type cover tomorrow. I have a lot of temporary code violations at the moment. I am having coyote problems and have IP cameras all over my acreage. I have extension cords running into the woods to power wireless cameras. Coyotes have almost gotten my little dog twice this year. I have had packs on my property and I live in the city. Currently I have 3 newborn deer on the property that I am also trying to protect. I have had no issues so far even though we have had heavy rain lately. I have several obvious code violations on permanent wiring that I am trying to fix, one of which the outside receptacles not on a GFCI circuit. I think one of these outlets is too close to the pool (20 ft.) but I need to look up that code.

Old 06-06-14, 06:18 AM
Not sure you mean by weather resistant receptacles. Is it the box? I will post a pic of the box.
No, I didn't mean the box although it must be weatherproof. The receptacle should be weather resistant whether it be a duplex receptacle or GFCI receptacle.

Weather-Resistant Duplex > GFCI Receptacles > Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) > Electrical Wiring Devices > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

Item Description

Feature: Weather and Tamper-Resistant, Amperage: 15 Amp, Voltage: 125 Volt, NEMA: 5-15R, Pole: 2, Wire: 3-Wire, Blade Type: Straight Blade, Device Type: Duplex Receptacle, Grounding: Grounding, Termination: Quickwire Push-In & Side, Standards and Certifications: UL/CSA, Warranty: 2 Year Limited, Color: White, 2008 NEC compliant
W5320-T0W > 15 Amp > Standard > Tamper-Resistant Receptacles > Electrical Wiring Devices > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products