Wiring a subpanel

Old 06-10-14, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a subpanel

Ok I am looking to run some electrical out to my garage. It is detached so I will need thwn/thhn, conduit, etc. I will be running #10 wire.

Ive posted before on this a while back to get an idea of what i would need and costs. I was told to run wiring from my Main Panel (house) to the garage subpanel. I was told to use either a 60 or 100amp breaker for feed to the subpanel, and connect a ground bar. The panel/wiring would handle up to 30amp breakers.

First question, is what is the difference between the 60 and 100amp breakers in the sub panel?
Second, if I am running red,white,black as #10 wire can I run the ground as #10 or would it need to be #8?
Will the #10 handle 30 amp breakers?

This wiring will be for multiple outlets in my garage to run fluorescent lighting fixtures and power a number of tools- More than likely one tool will be powered at a time only, but lets says I have a grinder and a 120v welder going, will it handle it?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-14, 08:00 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What is the full load amps of the welder and the duty cycle?

Old 06-10-14, 10:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
The 60 amp breaker will act as the disconnect for the sub and will need a backfed retention device. You will buy a panel and a breaker. You can buy a panel with a 100 amp main breaker.