5 rotary switch for AV cable

Old 06-09-14, 09:00 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
5 rotary switch for AV cable

I want to switch between 4 AV inputs (video only) and there are plenty of switches available. However, these are all very big so I decided to look if I can construct something myself.

I am thinking of getting 4 AV cables (the yellow part of the RCA cable) and cutting off the connector. As switch, I am thinking of using this:
2 Pole 5 Position Solder LUG 5 WAY Rotary Switch 2P5L | eBay

Bit before I start ordering stuff I am wondering if anyone knows if this would work and how to wire it up?

Old 06-09-14, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes.... that is a two pole five position switch and will work fine for your video only application. That looks to have 12 terminals around the circumference and 2 in the middle.
My diagram will go you some idea how to wire it. You would pick A or B and use the matching numbers. When you get that switch it will be numbered for you. Possibly like I've shown. If not, you could post a pic of the back of the switch and we could help you further.

Name:  switch.JPG
Views: 671
Size:  24.4 KB

Old 06-09-14, 10:11 PM
D
Cheers!
Am I correct in thinking that A (and it series) will be the positive and B (and it series) will be the negative. The centre A and B will be the output cable and A1/B1 will be camera 1, A2/B2 camera 2 etc?

Old 06-09-14, 10:17 PM
Group Moderator
No.... since you are using RCA type audio connections..... you will connect all the grounds together. The grounds don't connect to the switch..... only the center conductor. You will only be using half of the switch.

A little tough to show..... maybe this will help. Sorry for the crude diagram.

Name:  switch.JPG
Views: 431
Size:  43.0 KB

Old 06-10-14, 04:03 PM
D
Ah so it is actually only ground and no information is processed, now it makes sense to me as well how they go from two rca to a 3.5mm plug! Cheers, I will let you know how it goes!

Old 06-10-14, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Now you're saying something a little different. Just using the yellow cable is video only.

With a dual RCA cable to a 3.5mm plug..... one cable is audio and one is video. They share a common ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: