Led 4'' round light for ceiling with no ground wire

Old 06-12-14, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Led 4'' round light for ceiling with no ground wire

Hi I bought 20 of these led round lights and there is no ground wire on the lights.There is an aluminum heat sink in the center of the light the led part which is a 3 inch flat aluminum disc sits on top of this with some white paste under it. There is 2 black wire that supplies 120v power to the light.The light has a driver which reduces the secondary wires to 28v dc which are red and black wires but there is no ground.The housing of the heat sink and light disk is all plastic there is no steel to ground to .My question is how to ground this light.Is it acceptable to put the copper ground coming from the power supply and screw it to the aluminum housing of the heat sink.(Copper to aluminum) Is there some kind of reaction between the 2 metals or is that only if there is power traveling through the wires?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-14, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If they are UL approved and there is no provision for attaching a ground there is no need for a ground. Probably all parts likely to be touched by the user after installation are plastic. If the box is metal do attach the ground to the box otherwise just coil it up and put it in the back of the junction box.

Old 06-13-14, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Ray.There is no metal exposed it is an all plastic housing and glass over the leds. I am in the process of trying to verify the UL listing for the lights Thanks again