newbie: changing electric plug

Old 06-15-14, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
newbie: changing electric plug

hi i am new to the forum and of course I don't have lots of knowledge about electricity.

I've recently bought a new air-conditionar which comes with 15A electric plug (circle in shape) See photo. But the socket available is only 13A which is rectangular in shape. Since I am not in the US or any other European countries , in case of confusion ,misunderstanding or different standards, I first post some photos of what I have.

13A electric plug bought from DIY shop.
Name:  13A_plug(2).jpg
Views: 677
Size:  28.9 KBName:  13A_plug.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  27.4 KB

13A wall socket available. Our home doesnt have 15A socket.
Name:  13A_socket.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  26.4 KB

15A electric plug that comes with the air-conditioner.
Name:  15A_plug.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  24.1 KB

The shopkeeper suggested me changing the electric plug from circle to rectangular on my own to fit my wall socket. He commented that I can do it myself without having to look for certificate technicians, I only need to use a screwdriver and connect those earth wire, live wire etc. He claimed that's very very easy and he said if I want to change the socket, then I will have to find someone to help.

1. Is his word true?
2. What should I take of when it comes to changing electric plug
3. Do i have to consider the fuse or the power of the device.
4. I never done that before. In the worst case scenario, will it damage my device (air-conditioner)

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-14, 05:56 AM
Received 106 Votes on 97 Posts
The molded in 15 amp designation on the A/C plug tells you that that plug is rated for 15 amps. It does not necessarily means the A/C is 15 amp rated. You need to look at the lable on the A/C unit and see what the rated amps are listed as. The A/C label may also state the starting amp rating which will be higher than the running amp rating. Your wiring or outlet is rated at 13 amps so that means that your A/C unit should not exceed that rating. However, 13 amps sounds like an odd rating for a household outlet. A bit on the light side. Here in the US we use 15 amps for non heavy duty items such as lights and require 20 amp service for appliances such as A/C, refrigerators, etc... Check your breaker or fuse and see what rating it is set at.

Old 06-15-14, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Please note that this is mostly a US site so the information given here should be verified.

4. I never done that before. In the worst case scenario, will it damage my device (air-conditioner)
No. The A/C will be fine. It is your wiring that may overheat and start a fire if the circuit is not protected by a fuse.

Follow Norms advice.

Old 06-15-14, 09:20 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
General rule is you never change the plug. You change the receptacle. As others have written you should be sure your new receptacle is not rated higher then the amperage of your fuse or breaker or the wiring supplying the receptacle.