Unusual doorbell wiring. Need help

Old 06-15-14, 06:21 AM
Unusual doorbell wiring. Need help

So I'm helping my gf with her doorbell. Needed to put a new chime box in where the one previous had been taken down. I have 3 white power wires all joined together and 3 red wire to be installed on the box. In all the diagrams I've seen, I haven't seen this set up. Any ideas? I've tried various combos and nothing.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-14, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Likely you have 3 - 2 wire cables, one from the transformer, and one each from each button (front and back door) You need to find the one from the transformer first and connect that one to "trans". Easiest way is with a meter. This will all be low voltage (less than 24 volts) so there is little danger of a shock.

Old 06-15-14, 08:13 AM
Group Moderator
Name:  doorbell_zpsc16acf71.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  30.3 KB

Old 06-16-14, 05:29 PM
Thanks so much. Good advice

Old 06-19-14, 03:52 PM
Ok, so I have 3 sets of wires coming in. Each set is white and red. The whites are all tied together and have 18 volts. The 3 loose red wires have no current through them. I'm no electrical expert, but that does not make any sense to me at all. If I jump the whites over to the trans, I get a constant buzz and one loose red wire. Any suggestions before I break down and call someone?

Old 06-19-14, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Door bell button must be pressed to get voltage. Temporarily disconnect the three whites. Check the voltage of each cable. The one that has 17-18 volts is hot. Connect that red to the common of the chime. Connect the other two reds to front and back. Reconnect the whites and test.