New Extender for Older Octagonal Box too Large

Old 06-15-14, 04:19 PM
New Extender for Older Octagonal Box too Large

Am writing this with the hope that someone out there may have seen this before.

I am currently have the brick on my house covered with a stone veneer. Next to my front door is the outside light which will need an extender on the octagonal box to make flush. Problem is that the extender I picked up from Home Depot is a little larger than the original older box (around 1970) and the screws won't line up in the designated slots. I know Home Depot doesn't carry all products and was wondering if a true electrical supplier would have older sized extender to fit the smaller box. Another option would be to use washers on the screws which would definitely work, but not sure if would be to code. I would just change out the old box to a new one but it's mortared into the brick with the wires fastened tightly from behind. I may just have to do that, but it wouldn't be my first option.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-14, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Is the old box 3"?

Old 06-15-14, 04:44 PM
Should have probably included that in original post ... sorry.

The old box size is 3 1/4"; while the extender is 3 5/8" in diameter.

Tks

Old 06-15-14, 04:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Which extender did you pick up? Can you post a pic? Washers will not meet the intent of the code for the box to set back no more than 1/4" in a non-combustible surface.

Old 06-15-14, 06:17 PM
Tks PCBoss, attached is picture of the extender I picked up.

What I meant by using washers was to fasten the extender to the original octagonal box and mortar it in. It wouldn't go anywhere, but not sure if allowed. The code of less than 1/4" would be met as the box would be secured ... just not through the designated screw holes.

Tks again,

Attached Images  
Old 06-15-14, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
First hit for 3" octagon extension on Google: 1-1/2" Deep, 3-1/2" Octagon Box Extension Ring with (4) 1/2" Side Knockouts 3" is a standard size but no longer commonly used enough to be carried by most BigBox stores. An old time hardware store or supply houses are better places to check.

Old 06-16-14, 02:17 PM
Thanks for your help with this. Dropped by the dedicated electrical supplier and was told there are no extenders on the market today that will fit that product from 1970 or so. Since I am applying stone veneer over the brick, I simply mortared in the old box and set a new one over top and pulled the wires through. When it dries I will sink a concrete screw or two and it won't go anywhere.

Thanks again ...

Old 06-16-14, 08:13 PM
Dropped by the dedicated electrical supplier and was told there are no extenders on the market today that will fit that product from 1970 or so.
You got a bad answer. They are available, but have to be ordered and the minimum order is probably a full case.