Wiring lights in a shop

Old 06-16-14, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring lights in a shop

I am in the process of trying to get some lights in the mezzanine in my shop. The wire is run in the attic and I am just unsure of how to run the wire through the corrugated tin on the ceiling. Can I just simply drill a hole in the tin and run the wire into a junction box, or do I have to cut a hole in the tin that is the same size as the junction box? I do have a 2x6 between the trusses for the junction box to screw to. I just don't know if I can sandwich the tin in between or if it has to be cut out. Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-14, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What kind of cable was run in the attic? IF it is NM cable I would suggest cutting a larger hole (1 3/8" 1" trade size) and install plastic bushings so the tin does not cut the cable sheath. It might even be easier to run the cable directly into the light fixtures then installing junction boxes. Either was you can run the cables into the back of the box or light fixture. Just make sure to use a fitting where the cable enters the KO of the box or fixture.

Old 06-16-14, 06:23 PM
Ya its NM Flat. I was planning on just going with one junction box and then wiring all my fluorescent lights in series with conduit in between.

Old 06-16-14, 06:43 PM
Would the fitting in the KO not work as a bushing against the tin? since it would be pushed up in the hole in the tin and the 2x6 behind it. or is that not right?

Old 06-16-14, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
I am not sure I understand the description. If there is any chance of abrasion I would use a bushing on the hole.

Old 06-16-14, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
If there is any chance of abrasion I would use a bushing on the hole.
That is also my concern. With NM cable you need to protect it from damage. The fitting could protect the cable depending on the fitting you use but you will need to cut a larger hole in the tin (and the wood if it is behind the box) for the fitting.