Refrigerator >AC Wiring<

Old 06-17-14, 08:53 AM
Refrigerator >AC Wiring<

Hi all, pulling 12-2 /G cable to the small apartment I'm putting in my house. I understand that the fridge needs to be on its own dedicated circuit. Does that rule apply to apartment sized fridge as well? I'm guessing that the NEC sees a fridge as a fridge regardless of size. Also, can the apartment sized gas oven/stove(electric ignitor) share the same circuit with exhaust hood? As usual, thanks in advance for the expert help. Roger

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-14, 09:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The NEC does not require an individual circuit for the refrigerator unless the instructions call for it. SubZero is one of the few.

The gas stove and refrigerator can both be powered by the small appliance circuit. The hood cannot.

Old 06-17-14, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, pcboss. Another point I need clarifying; only 2 receptacles for the small appliance circuits, correct? And, they have to be GFCI protected. Roger

Old 06-17-14, 09:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
All the receptacles on the countertop require GFI protection. There is no NEC limit to just two.

Old 06-17-14, 10:32 AM
For some reason I was lead to believe that the small appliance circuits are limited to just 2 receptacles per circuit. Thanks again pcboss for clarifying that up for me. I appreciate it. Roger